Chapter 18 |He's back|

Stiles looks up from Scott, who is already in the chair determined to keep the permanent mark on him

Stiles looks up from Scott, who is already in the chair determined to keep the permanent mark on him. He looks at the tattoo artist and sees his smile sarcastically. "Boy, it's a good thing you drew me a picture..."

Scott nods and watches as the tattooed man sits beside him and gets ready to do his job.

"Hey, Scott! You sure you don't want something like this?" Stiles picks up a block where there's a painting that looks like the Kanima. He laughs when he sees Scott's expression. "Too soon?" he stops and puts it down. "Yeah."

"Give me a minute, I've got to get another machine," the man picks himself up and walks to the back to pick up the new machine because this one has broken.

"Have you talked to Mia?" Scott suddenly asks, and sees Stiles nearly fall to the side.

"Um, no-- why-- why do you ask?" Stiles puts his hand on his hip and acts like nothing happened, but he knows Scott needs to hear his rapid heartbeat.

"Because it's school tomorrow and she'll be there," he shrugs, then looks at him. "As far as I know, she called me the last time she went to France with her parents."

"That's one more call than I got," Stiles mutters, offended, and grabs the pad in his hand.

"Okay, I've seen you stay off the topic about Mia all summer, but I'll be honest with you, okay?" he asks, seeing Stiles' frowning face. "I know you like her. What's wrong or what's going on that you didn't tell me?"

He rubs his face, then sighs. "We kissed, you know?"

Scott opens his mouth in wonder. "Really?" he asks. "That's great- why are you frowning? Isn't that great? Okay, so-"

"It was great, but we didn't talk about it, and then she had to leave. Now it's kind of weird between us, because when we finally called, there was this silence where you don't know what to say. I should have done something while she was still here," Stiles complains, then sees the man come back.

"I'm sorry it took so long."

"Never mind," Scott says, then looks at Stiles. "You'll see her soon, Stiles. And when I see you always talking about her, I know you'll figure it out."

He stares at his fingers and drives those thoughts away. Now he doesn't want to think about what he didn't do. "I don't know, man. Are you sure about this? I mean, these things are pretty permanent, you know?"

Scott looks at him firmly. "I'm not changing my mind."

He rolls his eyes. "Okay, but why two bands?"

He shrugs. "I just like it."

"But don't you think your first tattoo should have some sort of meaning? You know, or something?"

"Getting a tattoo means something," Scott waves away.

Stiles looks skeptical at him. "I don't think that's-"