69

Gu Feidi was abruptly startled: "Why?"

Gu Ruohai said: "Recently, the martial arts circles have been in constant turmoil. Eluo Ghost Tent's spies have been discovered in Tongyun Temple and Wujiangmen. You're still young, don't get involved in this dispute, just practice martial arts calmly in the Pavilion."

"But, Father," Gu Feidi said anxiously, "Su Yang introduced the Gu worm into his body to save me. Sentimentally and reasonably, I shouldn't be abandoning him..."

Gu Ruohai regarded his son's anxious expression, paused for a moment and asked, "Sentimentally and reasonably?"

Gu Feidi looked down: "...The sentiment of being classmates, the reason is to repay the favour."

"You and Su Yang truly only harbour classmates' sentiments towards each other?" Gu Ruohai asked in a deep voice.

The stresses on his tone fell on the second half of the sentence bringing with it obvious questioning, Gu Feidi couldn't help but panic.

He clenched his fists, wiped his sweating palms onto his shirt, swallowed and replied: "Classmates and... the affection of intimate friends who've fought side by side. That time I was in Lesser Jade House's Jade Mirror Pond... and also the matter of him blocking the sword for me in the Wasteland; Father should have already heard of them."

As Gu Feidi finished speaking, he finally had the courage to raise his eyes and look Gu Ruohai in the face: "So, him and I should be regarded as friends whom we can trust with our lives."

Gu Ruohai stared fixedly at Gu Feidi's eyes. After a moment, he said: "You value him."

Gu Feidi: "He's a brother I trust with my life; of course I value him."

Gu Ruohai slowly exhaled and raised his hand to pat Gu Feidi's shoulder, "You've grown up..."

Without waiting for Gu Feidi to say anything, he continued: "I'm not a good father, nor a good husband. When you were younger, there was a long period of time that I didn't care about both you and your mother."

Seeing that his father seemed to be upset, Gu Feidi consoled: "How can you say such things? Although you were strict, you taught me martial arts and instructed me to study and practice calligraphy every day. How can you say that you never cared?"

Gu Ruohai smiled and said: "In any case, you have been a good son since you were a child; sensible, courteous and also diligent. You're strict and self-disciplined. The entire Pavilion praises you without exception. They say that my Tengyun Pavilion has a responsible and trustworthy Young Pavilion Master, succession is promising..."

Gu Feidi stood rooted to the spot, unable to say anything.

He absentmindedly looked at his father who was already sporting white hair at his temples and his fingers by his side trembled uncontrollably.

"Although Su Yang comes from the Devil Sect, you and him entered Lesser Jade House at the same time and have some friendly relations, so there's actually nothing wrong with it." Gu Ruohai continued, "Back then, I was also...... friends with the Devil Sect Leader. We travelled the Jianghu together when we were younger."

As he said, he gave a faint sigh and looked straight at Gu Feidi: "But, you have to understand that sometimes, many things don't develop in the direction you expect. I do not wish for my son to experience the same pain that I suffered last time."

Gu Feidi was taken aback: "...pain?"

Sponsored Content

Gu Ruohai smiled: "It's best not to mention past events. You need to know that the people from the Devil Sect are unscrupulous, ignore common customs and human sentiments and behave completely according to their own wishes. Now he treats you well and is willing to risk his life to block a sword for you, but it doesn't mean that he won't leave you for others in the future."