3c

Sharmandi prided itself in its democracy. But like many things, democracy had its negative side. Perhaps, the biggest argument against democracy was that it wasted too much time when it came to decision-making.

Everyone’s opinion had to be taken into account. That was not necessarily a bad thing. In a life-or-death situation, however, where decisions had to be made quickly, this could be a problem. To correct that flaw, the Nnadago or Swift Council was formed. The Nnadago was a four-member council made up of the governor and the leaders of the three arms of government.

Invoking the Nnadago was a serious affair and could only be done in extreme cases when a swift decision was imperative. As far as Narvari was concerned, illegal hunting on their land for several consecutive days by the same group with no form of rebuttal from the Dorbenese government was a real emergency.

Narvari straightened herself as four pairs of eyes watched her expectantly. The Nnadago had not been assembled in decades so it must have been strange when Narvari called upon them. She knew she had to be as concise as possible to gain their support.

“Captain Narvari,” said Governor Andaga, “I assumed you were to report everything to Honourable Korumi.”

Narvari nodded. “Under normal circumstances, yes. But these are no normal circumstances.”

The tension thickened. They were listening. There was no time to waste.

“In the past seven days, there have been five raids in Kirriba Plains,” said Narvari. “These poachers are hellbent on getting our bazwu and if we don’t put a stop to this once and for all, things will get worse, I’m afraid.”

“It should be impossible for poachers to get into the plains,” said Chief Minister Suodega. Here, he was the Chief Minister representing the executive. Outside, he was Uncle Suodega, Jimbaga and Motongo’s father.

“Not if the Dorbenese border patrol is not doing their job,” Narvari countered.

The four leaders exchanged curious glances with each other as if Narvari had said something strange.

Governor Andaga said, “The implications of your words are rather heavy, Captain. Are you saying Dorben is complicit in this?”

“That’s exactly what I’m saying,” she said. “Border patrol must have at least known about the raids and warned us even if they couldn’t keep the poachers out. But nothing of that sort happened. Dorben hasn’t condemned the actions of the poachers either.”

“It still doesn’t mean Dorben has anything to do with this,” said Chief Representative Namabo, the head of the legislature. “Perhaps the poachers found a weakness in Dorben’s security and took advantage of it. You’re suggesting that Dorben has broken the Kirriba Treaty. A rather serious accusation, Captain. Do you have evidence?”

“Evidence?” Narvari balled her fist by her side as her temper slowly rose. Deep breaths, Narvari. Deep breaths. Trying to ignore the fury blazing within her, she said as calmly as she could, “How else do we explain how they got in here in the first place? They are using the Amanabe Border, one of our most secured borders. Isn’t it strange that the border patrol in Amanabe has not even alerted us about anything?”

Perhaps the minister of Amanabe Province even knew what was going on.

“Captain,” said Chief Justice Ladaru, “I can see why it will look suspicious. I find it suspicious too. But this is a very delicate issue. We can’t just point fingers at Dorben for breaking the Kirriba Treaty when we don’t have any concrete evidence.”

“What do you suggest we do then?” asked Narvari. “These poachers are not going to stop.”

“Korumi said your team send the poachers back,” said Governor Andaga.

Narvari nodded. “Yes, Governor.”

“Very well,” he said. “I suggest we no longer send them back.”

“Are you asking me to shoot them on sight? Because I will.”

Governor Andaga’s gaze hardened. “I’m asking you to arrest them and bring them back. We will deal with them here according to the law. All those in favor.”

Three hands shot in the air.

The governor nodded. “Then that is settled.”

A feeling of uncertainty settled over Narvari. Arresting those poachers wouldn’t solve the root of the problem. The problem wasn’t the poachers themselves per se. The problem was the person sending them here. If they arrested the poachers, more would come. She was sure of it.

He won’t stop until he gets what he wants. The words echoed in her mind.

“What about the border patrol?” she asked. Narvari refused to believe that the border patrol in Dorben didn’t know what was happening. She had two theories. One, the border patrol was no match for the mercenaries and had been totally wiped out. But of course, they hadn’t heard about such a tragedy so that couldn’t be the case. The second theory was more likely — the border patrol was working with the mercenaries and giving them entry.

“We have to at least investigate why the poachers are easily evading the border patrol,” said Narvari.

“Of course,” said Governor Andaga. “I do not plan to let this go. Anyone has a suggestion about what to do?”

Chief Justice Ladaru raised her hand.

The governor said she could speak

“Well, I suggest we talk to President Ntikoko about this.”

Narvari narrowed her eyes. They were going to talk to the president of Dorben? What if he too was involved? Wasn’t that how this corruption stuff worked?

“Governor,” said Narvari, “why don’t we investigate this privately? We don’t have to get Dorben involved.”

“That won’t be wise, Captain Narvari,” said the governor. “Breaking the treaty is a serious offense and we can’t start a secret investigation on our closest ally without hearing them out first. This could all be one big misunderstanding.”

Narvari bit her lips. Was it possible she was being rash? Maybe this was all a misunderstanding and here she was being so quick to point fingers at Dorben. She just had this gut feeling that--

“Captain Narvari,” the governor interrupted her thoughts, “I won’t overrule your concern either. We have to look at both sides of the coin, of course. But we will do this without causing irreparable damage to our relationship with Dorben. I will talk to President Ntikoko tomorrow. I’m sure he would be more than happy to cooperate with us in investigating this issue.”

Maybe so, thought Narvari. Hopefully, things would get better. Or they would probably get a whole lot worse.