38

When Narvari and Azmel emerged from their portal in lonely alley, it was long past noon.

Soon, they were thrown into the beautiful chaos of the bustling city. People and traffic were the order of the day. All kinds of commercial buildings like banks, stores, and supermarkets, lined up on both sides of Adeyemi Street. They stopped in front of a massive building with a gym and salon on the ground floor. They entered the salon.

The coolness of the air conditioner was a reprieve from the scorching heat outside. Women of varying ages sat under hair dryers, chatting among themselves. A group of hairstylists wearing a matching red T-shirt with the name Her Majesty Beauty Palace stylishly printed on it attended to other customers.

"Sweetheart, are you here to do your hair?" A middle-aged woman with a lot of make-up and sophisticated hair-do approached Narvari. She smiled warmly and nodded in what Narvari assumed as appreciation. "Nice suit."

"Thanks," Narvari dug her hands in her pockets. "And no, I'm not here for a hair-do." Her cornrows were still in good condition. Also, Anana had taught her how to braid her hair. She didn't remember the last time she went to a salon. Not even for washing. She would buy her hair products and wash her hair in the shower.

"Oh. Is it your friend here then? The woman flashed her smile at Azmel. As she moved her hands widely to complement her enthusiasm, her bangles rattled. "Don't worry sir, we do all kinds of hair for all kinds of people."

"We're looking for Lena Abiola," Azmel said. "She works here, doesn't she?"

The woman hesitated for a moment as if she didn't trust them. But then she suddenly shouted at the top of her voice. "Lena. Oya come o."

Jesus. Narvari clenched her teeth. Could she be any louder?

A curvy young woman with beautiful box braids held up in a bun came through a door inside the shop.

"These people are looking for you," said the older woman. "Do you know who they are?"

Lena silently stared at Narvari and Azmel. She shook her head. "No, madam."

"Okay." The madam took Lena's hand and gently pulled her to her side. "Time to go, you two."

Azmel did not move. "We are here because of Flores."

Lena narrowed her eyes.

"Can we talk in private?" asked Azmel.

After hesitating for a while, Lena nodded.

The madam asked in Yoruba if Lena was sure about this. She said Lena didn't have to talk to them if she felt uncomfortable about it. But Lena only smiled sadly and said she would be okay. She needed to hear what they had to say about Flores. Casting one last glance at them, the madam nodded, agreeing to let Lena talk to them.

"How do you know my sister? Do you know where she's gone?" Lena bombarded them with questions as soon as they stepped outside.

"One question at a time, Lena," said Azmel. "We are working on your sister's case but the information we have is not enough. That's why we're here."

According to the case file, Flores Abiola was only seventeen years old and a university freshman studying biochemistry at the University of Lagos. She lived with her older sister, Lena Abiola, a twenty-seven-year-old hair stylist. Three days ago, Lena had reported her younger sister missing.

"You two are the police?" Lena asked skeptically. Her gaze fell too long on Narvari and Narvari could practically see the gears of mistrust turning in Lena's head.