31b

Narvari's vision blurred, the demon doubling before her. Delirium took over her senses. Fighting a ninth-order demon was not a joke. Her aching bones and muscles would testify to that.

But she couldn't let doubt crawl in. This was not a simulation. This was not even Narraghan where Trixan could easily rescue her. No. This was real. And the slightest hesitation could cause her death. But why hadn't she died yet? Clearly, the demon was far more powerful than she.

A sudden explosion followed by a powerful earthquake rudely interrupted her thoughts. The earthquake lasted for a few seconds but it was enough to throw Narvari face-first into the damp dirt. 

What the hell was that?

"Someone used elevaz," said Servin. He had been engaging with the other demon but Narvari had been too occupied with staying alive to worry about Servin.

"Elevaz?" Narvari narrowed her eyes.

"Elema at its most powerful form," he said. "It takes an incredible amount of sacred energy and it may leave you both physically and mentally drained after using it."

As Narvari wondered who could have used their elevaz, the demon charged at her, hurling its powerful hoof-like leg towards her face. Narvari reacted immediately, dodging the kick. She already had a sacred fist ready but the demon's hand transformed into a terrifyingly long scythe. The demonic blade would have cut Narvari into two had she not phased out of the way at the last second. She howled as the pain shot through her shoulder, down into the soles of her feet. Narvari touched her shoulder, the blood soaking her hand.

She clenched her teeth glaring at the demon. The demon glared right back, his golden eyes blazing with fury.

"Narvari. Are you alright?"

She had been so occupied by her fight with the demon that she had not noticed when she and Servin had ended up standing back to back, felled trees all around them. This forest would need major afforestation. All those poor trees...

"Narvari--"

"Oh, yes. Yes." She came back to her senses. "This is nothing."

"What do you see?"

"Hmm?"

"Look at the demon and tell me what you see."

Narvari watched the demon carefully. Except for his inhuman golden eyes, the demon could easily pass for a human. Well, a human with questionable fashion sense. But what struck Narvari  most was the complete lack of interest on the demon's creamy white face. It was like this whole thing was one boring game to him. Narvari frowned. She had been wondering why she was still alive all this while even after facing a ninth-order demon. Now she understood why.

"They are not attacking." She bit her lips.

"Yes. They are toying with us. They haven't even revealed their ultimate demon form yet."

Narvari gulped. Even in this form, she and Servin found it hard to beat the demon. If they transformed to their ultimate demon form, they were royally screwed. 

"It's like they are trying to keep us here," Servin said.

"But why?"

"Only one way to find out." In a louder voice, Servin called out. "Hey you, What's this about? Why are you here?"

Silence.

"You are going to be in a lot of trouble if you don't leave."

"Really? And how's that?" The demon chuckled. "None of your attacks have had any effect on us."