9

The wispy form of the wraith demon crouched out of the darkness. Its red empty eyes were death itself as they penetrated Narvari's soul. The demon sluggishly pulled its hunched-back body towards Narvari. She sat motionless in the ruins of her room, her hands covering her ears as the demon shrieked.

There was her grandmother, pale and dead, lying by her side.

"Anana." She sobbed.

"Narvari," a voice called out to her. Jimbaga crawled towards her from the darkness.

"Jimbaga." Narvari struggled to get to him but her body remained rooted to the ground, unwilling to move. "Jimbaga."

The demon shrieked again. Its fluid form melded with the darkness and soared like the wind toward her best friend. The demon climbed atop Jimbaga's body, pinning him to the ground.

"No. No, stop." Narvari fought to pull herself free from her position. "Get away from him."

A hand grasped Narvari's arm. She shouted, flailing her arms wildly. "Get away. Get away from me. Get away."

The hand released her immediately. A soothing voice caressed Narvari's ears. "It's alright. You are safe now." The familiar voice was a salve to Narvari's anguished soul.

She stopped thrashing around as the calmness settled over her body. The cage of darkness around her shattered into a million pieces. Her grandmother and best friend disappeared as light flooded her space.

Narvari's eyes peeled open. They gazed directly into two dazzling orbs of sapphire. She froze, her body unwilling to move by the sheer proximity of the white-haired girl sitting so close to her. Suddenly Narvari lunged out of bed as though she had suddenly remembered how to use her limbs.

"Whoa, calm down." The girl chuckled, pulling Narvari back into the bed. Her grip was surprisingly strong for such a gentle touch. "You are still recovering from all those wounds. It's a miracle you're even awake."

Recovering? Narvari raised a brow.

Flashes of memories slowly surged into her mind. Now it all made sense why this girl looked familiar.

Pheera. That was what the others had called her.

Narvari's gaze fell on the girl's hand. "Don't touch me," she hissed, pulling her hands away. "Ever."

Pheera put a respectable distance between them, her smile dimming.

Narvari bit her lips, guilt pricking her skin. She awkwardly rubbed her neck. "Look, no offense to you or anything, but the last time you touched me, you made me fall-"

"In love, huh?" another voice chimed in.

Narvari paled as she turned around. There, in the next bed to her right, was another familiar face. It was the smallish young man with jet-black hair whose name she did not remember. He smirked.

Narvari frowned when the boy wiggled his thick eyebrows.

She glared at him. "She made me fall asleep, genius." Okay, why did she even clarify that? She didn't have to explain herself to anyone.