10b

“What happened to me?” Narvari stared at her hands. They didn’t look any different.

“You awakened your savaz, my dear. Fifth-order, no less.”

“What does that even mean?”

“It means that you have the potential to become a vanquisher.”

“I’m sorry what?”

“I know this must sound strange.”

“Oh,” Narvari laughed, “you think? You were the one who said I was an outie, whatever the hell that means. And now what? I’m supposed to be a vanquisher? No, this doesn’t sound strange at all. I hear this all this time.”

If Trixan was offended by Narvari’s sudden outburst, then she didn’t show it. She simply watched Narvari calmly. Did this woman ever lose her cool?

“This is crazy,” said Narvari said more calmly. “This is all crazy.”

She was crazy. The whole world was crazy. But as crazy as everything sounded, she truly believed that Trixan was telling her the truth. The woman was right about the existence of demons as well as people with the power to summon magic guns to vanquish those demons. Narvari herself had seen these things with her own eyes.

Even she herself had vanquished a demon using that same kind of power. How did she even do that?

“I can’t be a vanquisher,” she muttered. “That’s not possible.”

She wasn’t from this so-called Inner Sphere. She was from Sharmandi, in West Africa, on earth, in the Milky Way Galaxy, in the universe. There must be some kind of a mistake and all this was one endless nightmare.

“Indeed, my dear, you’re not a vanquisher,” said Trixan. “Not yet. You need training for that. But it’s obvious you have ancestors from the Inner Sphere. It’s the only explanation for why an outie would suddenly awaken.”

The implication of Trixan’s words hit Narvari like a truck. She had ancestors from the Inner Sphere? How could that be? Anana strongly believed in the existence of demons. But never once did she mention anything about vanquishers or the Inner Sphere. And her father? No, it couldn’t be. Her father was no vanquisher. Yabaga may be the best marksman alive. But that didn’t mean the guy could magically whip guns out of nowhere.

Her father was normal. She too was normal. At least that’s what she had always been until...

The wraith lord.

Narvari scowled. He did something to me. That was it. The demon blasted her with some dark energy, almost driving her insane. She remembered now. Those voices were in her head. They had urged her on to say a name. That demon definitely did something to her.

“I think that wraith lord did something to me,” said Narvari. “I could literally feel my insides burning.

“Oh right,” said Trixan. “Azmel mentioned you were possessed with demon energy.”

“Demon energy?”

Trixan nodded. “Demon energy is highly toxic in humans.”