20a

“So,” said Narvari, gazing at the long line of concrete blocks, “what are those for?”

The concrete blocks stood as tall as Narvari and were the thickness of three sumo wrestlers. Narvari brushed her fingers against its cold, smooth surface. What could today’s lesson be about? She thought.

“We’ve learned about sacros and how to use it to boost your overall speed and strength,” Trixan dived into the lesson. “You also know that sacros is the sacred energy that powers your savaz. These are the two basic functions of sacros. But, the difference between an average vanquisher and a powerful vanquisher lies in mastering a key concept in vanquishing.” Trixan paused. “Once you grasp this concept, my dear, it will be safe to say that you have mastered sacred combat.”

Narvari nodded. “Okay. So what’s this concept?”

“Fortification,” said Trixan. “It’s something you are already familiar with at the basic level.”

Narvari narrowed her eyes, rubbing her chin. “I am?” She tried to think. Maybe it was best to break down the word fortification. “To fortify means to strengthen.”

“Indeed, my dear. And how does that apply to you as a vanquisher?”

Narvari paused thoughtfully. “Releasing sacros makes my body stronger. It’s like I have superhuman strength or something.”

“It is exactly like that, my dear.” Trixan nodded. “That’s what fortification is basically about. At the advanced level, fortification is about strengthening your body or an object either for defense or attack.” Trixan nodded at one of the gray concrete blocks. “Can you punch a hole through one of these with your bare hands? No sacros.”

Narvari gawked at Trixan. “Seriously?”

“Of course, my dear”

Narvari stared at her balled fists then glanced back at the thick slabs of concrete. “I don’t know. Maybe I can. But I feel like I will end up breaking every bone in my arm if I did.” She might be physically stronger than before, but she still had her limit without sacred energy.

“Of course, you will, my dear.”

Narvari gaped. “So why ask?”

“I just wanted to see the look on your face.” Trixan chuckled. “Now, what if you wield your sacros? Do you think you can do it, my dear?”

Narvari scoffed. “I know I can.

“Good. Do it.”

Instantly, Narvari’s black and red sacros surged out of her, engulfing her entire body. Not wasting time, she balled her right fist and smashed through a block. A large deep depression opened in the concrete as chipped blocks scattered everywhere.

“Not bad.”

Narvari gazed at Trixan. The Elder didn’t look impressed. “Not bad? That was amazing.”

“Not quite, my dear. That was not powerful enough.”

Narvari opened her mouth, speechless. She looked at her fist, then glanced at the massive hole she had made inside the concrete block. How was that not powerful enough?