41

Silence and darkness.

That was all Narvari sensed around her. The void trapped her like a prison for what seemed like an eternity. Then, ever so slowly, the thick cover of darkness shattered around her, accompanied by the annoying beeping sound filtering into her unconscious mind. Her eyes were heavier than normal, and with great difficulty, they slowly fluttered open. But she quickly shut them again when the sudden bright light flooded her eyes. Everything was nothing but a blur.

"Pheera," Narvari whispered. Her vision blurred. But in the blur, she saw those sparkling blue eyes. "Pheera." She tried to touch Pheera's face. Pain shot through her chest, right into her toes. She touched her chest as an image of a spear plunged inside her surfaced in her mind. She cried out, reliving the anguish.

"My dear, you need to be still." The soothing voice lulled her. Strong arms held her back onto the bed.

"Pheera." Narvari grabbed those arms like a drowning man would a lifeboat.

The fogginess in her mind slowly cleared as the blurry figure beside her sharpened. The blueness of the eyes transformed to forest green, and the white hair she had envisioned, appeared scarlet as red rose.

"Trixan?" 

The Elder smiled warmly at her. Her eyes were red and puffy. Had she been crying? That wasn't an image Narvari thought possible and yet, the evidence was crystal clear.

 "Welcome back, my dear."

"Where's Pheera?"

"My dear, you need to worry about yourself. You almost died."

Narvari bit her lips as she mindlessly played with the bandage around her chest. A spear. That demon had stabbed her right in the heart with a spear and she had died. She was certain of it. How the hell was she alive? Several machines were fixed to her body. Was that how she was alive? Did vanquishers have technology that revived the dead? She doubted it. They may have advanced medical technology--hell she had seen them regenerate someone's severed limbs--but it still didn't mean they could raise the dead. Her life had flashed before her eyes. And Pheera... the demon... Yes. It was all coming back to her. They had faced a royal demon. And Pheera was there.

Narvari quickly sat up. She groaned, when the immense pain ripped through her chest. Gosh, this was going to hurt for a while. "Trixan, where is Pheera?" She searched Trixan's calm yet sad eyes. Narvari gulped, fear crawling in her veins. "Where is she?"

"Calm down." Trixan was too calm. "It's not good for your health-"

"Don't tell me be calm." Narvari's eyes stung. "I," she whispered, "I just want to know if she's okay. Please."

Trixan paused thoughtfully. "She's undergoing treatment."

Narvari noticed how Trixan refused to say whether Pheera was alright. "Undergoing treatment for what? Will she be okay?"

Trixan remained silent. This was a yes or no question; why wasn't Trixan saying anything?

"Trixan."

"I hope so."

Hope? This didn't sound good. How serious was Pheera's condition that Trixan had to resort to hope?

"Can I see her? Please?"

"You need to rest. Your wound--"

"I'm fine." Narvari clenched her jaws. The pain in her chest almost rendered her insane. But other than that she was peachy.

"Are you sure?" Trixan gazed at Narvari's chest. "You seem to be in a lot of pain."

"I want to see her."