31a

Yanvirrak glared at the laughing demon as he gasped for air. He wiped the blood at the corner of his mouth, rising to his feet. The world seemed to rotate around him, but he kept himself steady. His rage fought an intense battle with his fear and luckily for him, his rage seemed to be triumphing. It was the only thing keeping him from giving up right now. From his peripheral vision, Pheera struggled to her feet. Part of her white her had turned crimson from all that blood on her forehead.

"Pheera--"

"I'm okay."

That didn't stop Yanvirrak from worrying any less. Still, this was a bad time to be distracted by anxiety. Besides, he knew Pheera had no intention of backing down. Her eyes turned even bluer the stronger her fighting spirit became.

Turning his attention to the mummy-looking seventh-order demon, Yanvirrak knew they had to come up with a strategy to defeat the demon or they would die. After running away from those two ninth-order demons, a seventh-order demon had come out of nowhere to attack them.   Yanvirrak clenched his jaws. Never had he faced a seventh-order demon. And it was for good reason. Just like Pheera, Yanvirrak was only a class five vanquisher with a third-order savaz. There was no way they could vanquish this demon with their savaz. They may have a chance if they had elema, but they had no such thing. All they could depend on was Trinity.

But every wound they inflicted on the demon using Trinity quickly healed. They tried aiming for the demon's weak spot in its navel, but the old brown bandages wrapped around its entire body were too hard to break through. They seemed to be made of steel or something. Yanvirrak rubbed his sore knuckles when he recalled how he almost broke his hand from the impact.

"Do you see now?" said the demon in an annoyingly high-pitched voice. "You two are going to die here today. Oh, the irony of a vanquisher being killed by a demon in their school no less." It howled in laughter.

Yanvirrak grimaced at the jarring sound.

"What are you waiting for, cowards?" The mummy demon pointed a thin wrapped finger at them. "Come at me now. I want to take my sweet time punishing you."

"You are not going to get away with this." Yanvirrak glared at the demon. Did these fools think they could just attack Draghein School without consequence?

"Oh. And how do you plan on stopping us?"

Yanvirrak balled his fists. He wanted to run at the demon and sever its head off with a single punch. But that would be suicide for him, he knew it. He had to calm himself. He inhaled and exhaled slowly, clearing his head. He had to think.

Pheera said, "Yanvirrak, we have to do this together."

Yanvirrak raised a brow. But that was what they had been doing all along. And even when they attacked the demon, they had not even put a scratch on its diamond-like armor of bandages.

"Naja," Pheera said, nodding.

Realization suddenly dawned on Yanvirrak. They had indeed been attacking the demon together, however, they were fighting as individuals. What they needed was an effective combination. This was how they had defeated Naja, a fifth-order demon, during their undercover mission. Well, they were still too weak to vanquish the demon, however, their impeccable combo had completely overpowered her until she was vanquished by Azmel.

If they fought together, that might reduce the endless beatings they were getting from this demon.

Yanvirrak's gaze hardened. "Now."

Instantly, they lunged toward the demon in zigzag motion. The demon seemed a little confused but recovered immediately. Its soulless yellow eyes glared at Yanvirrak even though he was moving at a mind blowing speed. But just as the demon could grab Yanvirrak by the neck, they changed their formation, running circles around it, while staying as far from it as possible. Their speed created a stream of blue, white and purple light around the demon.