33

The smell of blood, disinfectant, and traces of demon energy heavily permeated the infirmary. Trixan watched as doctors attended to the vanquishers. There were all kinds of casualties from mild cuts to grave injuries. Fortunately, none of the casualties had been fatal. She wasn't sure who had sent her that message about what was happening in her school, but she was glad she had received it. Who knew what might have happened had she not returned? Well, her vanquishers had held their own bravely to the very end.

She couldn't have been prouder of them. But that pride was completely overshadowed by the absolute rage boiling within her like explosive magma. How did demons find their way into the school? It should be impossible. Her balled fist shook. Blasting those demons into oblivion had not been enough to pacify her rage. She wanted to do it all over again. This time, much slower, so those demons would feel the never ending anguish.

"Trixan."

She turned to see Azmel watching her. White bandages firmly wound around his head and torso.

"You should be resting, my dear."

Azmel, ever so nonchalant, simply shrugged as though his wounds were nothing but a prop. "I'll do that later. There's something important I need to tell you."

Azmel was not one to dwell on small talk so Trixan just went straight to the point. "What is it?"

"Vessels were involved." He paused, then added thoughtfully. "I think they planned this. I fought two of them with their demons."

"Hmm, I see." Trixan nodded. It was no wonder Azmel was in a bad shape right now. The more blood pact a Vessel had with demons, the more powerful they were. Such Vessels could be quite problematic for even skilled vanquishers. "You did well protecting the rookies, my dear. Well, done."

Azmel nodded. "There's something else."

Trixan tilted her head.

"I think they were looking for something," he said.

"The demons and Vessels?" Trixan raised a bow. "Why do you say that, my dear?"

"They kept talking about how they would make the world whole again once they found what they came for."

"Hmm, I see." What could Vessels be possibly looking for in Draghein School? "That was useful information, my dear. Thank you."

She had been more concerned about her vanquishers getting better and had not yet come around to interrogating any of them about the attack.

"Have you seen Zemeron?" asked Trixan.

"He's in his room."

"Alright. You should go back and rest. That's an order, Azmel."

"Yes, ma'am." He nodded before leaving.

Strolling through the infirmary, Trixan stopped by a bed with an unconscious Alana lying on it. Her entire hand had been ripped out of her shoulder. Trixan gripped her knuckles to keep herself calm. Doctor Nish gently cleaned the young woman's wound.

"Can you reclaim it?" asked Trixan.

"Not unless I treat the infection," Nish said. "It's infected with demon energy. But once I purge it, I will begin the reclamation."

"How long is it going to take?"

"Treating the demon energy infection will take about two weeks."

"And the arm reclamation?"

"About a month or two."

Trixan nodded slowly. It was indeed a slow and painful process, but the life of her vanquishers was more important. She was grateful Alana was still alive. The young woman was only a class five vanquisher, and had been one of the few rookies who actually enrolled to Draghein School voluntarily.