27b

"Thank you all so much."

Richard shook each of their hands, beaming. His disposition was so different than when Narvari had first seen her, it was like they were two different people. He laughed more now and seemed even more energetic than before.

"We were just doing our jobs," said Azmel in his usual no-nonsense tone.

"Well, I still thank you. I know my friend paid for my service but once my businesses come back on track, I will make a big donation to your church. Maybe I can even come and visit you all sometime."

"No," they all said at once.

Richard chortled. "I was just joking. I have already learned my lesson about just joining random churches. I will be more discerning next time."

Good for him, Narvari thought.

"But I wasn't joking about the donation." Richard was more serious now. "I will never forget what you have done for me today. I never thought I would ever have the chance to see my wife and children again. I may have lost one of my children, but I will get through it."

"I wish you all the best," said Pheera. "And I'm truly sorry for everything you went through."

"Thank you." Richard nodded, his eyes full of gratitude.

"I guess our work here is done for today," said Azmel, activating a portal to which Richard's eyes almost popped out of their sockets like a cartoon character.

Narvari laughed.

***

In an old Catholic Church in Panama, six people were meeting, and each of them was a member of the Vessels of Bezvaros.

One of these Vessels, Watanabe Haru, in the last five years, had dedicated his time and money to finding his colleagues — his fellow Vessels. But so thoroughly had the Ancient Order of Vanquishers broken the Vessels of Bezvaros that Haru had been lucky to have found only five of his colleagues all these years.

The majority of Vessels had gone into seclusion, and would rather keep a low profile from the vanquishers. How far they had fallen. But all that was about to change with this piece of information he was about to share. Soon, the Vessels of Bezvaros would take their rightful place in the world.

Haru cleared his throat as five expectant eyes watched him in silence. "Thank you for coming on such short notice."

"You did say it was an emergency," said Obinna, petting the head of the albino python around his neck. The whiteness of the serpent was a stark contrast to Obinna's dark brown skin. "But if this is as urgent as you say, Haru," Obinna scoffed, "why isn't Ziegler here?"

Haru frowned. "No one knows where Ziegler is. If he were a good leader, he would be the one trying to restore us to order, don't you think?"

Obinna rolled his eyes. "Hmm."

When it was clear that no one else had anything else to say, Haru continued, "I have received word that Bezvaros' Crystal was never destroyed."

"What?"

The shock on everyone's faces told Haru that he had their attention now. Haru nodded. He too had reacted in the same manner when he got the anonymous message.

"That can't be right," said Denise. The blonde shook her head in disbelief. "Bezvaros' Crystal was destroyed in the war."

"Are we sure about that?" asked Haru. "Did we see it destroyed with our own eyes?"

The Vessels exchanged glances with one another as if they were pondering over Haru's words.

"And why should we care about that, Haru," Lyle snapped, his steely blue ice getting icier. "Seriously, did you invite me here to peddle such nonsense, or have you forgotten what happened the last time we possessed the crystal?"