6a

“Anana,” Narvari called out in the darkness. “Jimbaga.” The white light from her phone was the only source of illumination in the living room. Not a single thing had moved out of place in the room. That gave her hope. She moved her flashlight to the ceiling. Her hopes were immediately dashed as soon as she saw the broken bulb.

She swallowed.

“Anana.”

Suddenly, there was a loud crash followed by a shriek. By now, she knew what that devilish shriek meant. Those things were in her house and from the sound of it, they were in Anana’s room. Narvari’s feet acted on their own.

Once she reached Anana’s room, she flung the door open.

Narvari gasped. Jimbaga was fiercely fighting off two shadows at the same time. Her grandmother lay sprawled on the ground.

Narvari charged inside with her flashlight. The shadows screeched as they shielded their black hollow eyes. They melded into the darkness and were no more. Jimbaga dropped to the ground panting heavily. His face was a bloodied mess.

Narvari ran towards her grandmother but an invisible force threw her back. She lost her footing and fell heavily on her back. She had no idea where her phone had gone, but given that the flashlight had disappeared, it was safe to assume that her phone was in no good shape.

No. That light was the only thing stopping those creatures from getting any closer.

“Jimbaga,” she called out in the darkness. “Are you okay?”

“I’ll live.”

That tugged at Narvari’s heart. How could he tell Jimbaga that his mother was no more and this his brother was badly hurt? Narvari’s hand trembled lightly. She clenched her fists. She needed to focus right now.

“What’s happening outside, Narvari?” Jimbaga asked. “What are those things.”

“I don’t know. We need to be alert, okay? Those things thrive in darkness.”

Narvari crawled towards her grandmother. The old woman’s face was extremely pale but at least she was still breathing. Jimbaga must have fought very hard to protect Anana. The guilt gnawed at Narvari’s soul. Jimbaga protected her family and yet she could not protect his. What kind of friend was she?

Narvari touched her grandmother’s face. “I’ll get you out of here, Anana,” she whispered.

“Narvari.” The sound of her voice was faint, but Narvari heard it clearly.

Anana peeled her eyes open. She took Narvari’s hands and the coldness from her frail hands seeped into Narvari’s skin. It was like the touch of ice.

“Don’t speak,” said Narvari. “Conserve your energy. I need to get you out of here.”

“No. Listen. I don’t have much time.”

That shut Narvari up. Why would Anana say something like that?

“Come closer.” Anana beckoned to Narvari to bring her ears closer.

Narvari leaned in, her ear directly above Anana’s mouth as she weakly whispered the strangest news to her. Narvari’s eyes widened. She gaped.