17

Three days after Narvari told Trixan she would stay in Draghein School, she waited in one of the large classrooms of the Academy for her first lesson. A few minutes later, Trixan showed up in a gray tank top with a pair of gym trousers, just like Narvari.

“What are we doing today?” Narvari looked around, wondering if they would be joined by other rookies. She doubted anyone would join them.

“Your first lesson as a rookie,” Trixan said, “is to master your sacros.”

Narvar’s hand enthusiastically shot up.

“You need not raise your hand to ask a question, my dear.”

“Oh.” She dropped her hand. “What about elema?” If she were to become as stronger as soon as possible, didn’t it make more sense to learn elema, the more powerful form of sacred energy?

“How do you know about elema, my dear?”

“Some muscular guy with purple hair told me about it. I think his name was Seven or something. Maybe Eleven. Yes, definitely Eleven.”

I should really call him that. That would teach him to stop calling me Rookie.

Trixan smiled. “You’ve met Servin Rahalan.” In a firmer tone, she said, “You should not concern yourself with elema or anything other than sacros for now. Learning is a process. You need to take the first step before moving to the next. Do not use shortcuts, my dear. That is a sure way to disaster.”

Narvari sighed. “Alright. How do I master my sacros?”

“Easy, All you need to do is wield your sacros for as long as possible.”

“And how long is possible?”

“That’s entirely up to you, my dear. Now show me your sacros.” Narvari hesitated, a little confused by Trixan’s sudden instruction. “Go on, my dear. Release your first form of sacred energy.”

Well, she knew how to summon her sacros. All she had to do was summon Ushama.

Instantly, black and red flames shrouded Narvari’s entire body. The warmth around her was like another set of skin. Narvari stared at her hands ablaze with the black and red flame. Her sacros disappeared while her savaz appeared in each hand. Narvari tightened her grip against the smooth metallic surface. She lifted the savaz to her eye level. Grinning at Trixan, she asked, “So what do you think?”

Trixan’s expression was unreadable. Narvari couldn’t tell if the woman was impressed or not. “I didn’t ask you to gear up.”

Narvari’s smile froze. “Gear up?”

“It means to summon your vaz. That’s not what I asked you to do.” Trixan folded her arms. “I only asked you to wield your sacros. Do not gear up.”

“Oh.” Narvari’s savaz vanished. How the hell was she supposed to simply release her sacros without her savaz appearing afterward?

Perhaps seeing her confusion, Trixan moved closer to Narvari instructing her to close her eyes. Narvari followed the instruction.

“Focus on summoning only your sacros,” she said. “Empty your mind and feel the energy flowing inside you.”

Narvari followed the sound of Trixan’s soothing voice. She stilled the chaos in her mind, thinking of nothing but the so-called energy within her. Then a warm spark lit inside her core. The more she focused, the bigger the flame became until her soul was a mighty inferno surging within her. It intoxicated her with power, consuming her from the crown of her head to the soles of her feet. Her sacred energy coursed through her soul like an ocean of fire.