16

“Shit. I’m lost.”

Narvari rubbed her forehead as she thought about how this was harder than she had expected. She had ventured farther into the garden only to realize that she was no longer in a garden but a freaking forest. Giant trees surrounded her from all angles. How the hell was all this in one school?

Twigs snapped and birds chirped. A low howling sound came from the north. Narvari stopped. This place didn’t have wild animals, did it? She listened carefully, her senses on high alert. No, it didn’t sound like an animal. It was more like the whooshing of wind. She followed the sound. The further she got, the louder it became. It was like there was a helicopter waiting out somewhere, though she doubted a helicopter could land anywhere in this dense forest.

Leaves blew all around Narvari per the will of the strong gale. She darted behind one of the large trees when she saw someone.

Standing in the middle of the woods was a man naked from the waist up. A mighty gale encircled him, ready to tear him apart. Yet, he seemed completely calm and unshaken. He moved his strong arms slowly and fluidly, as though he was doing some kind of enchanting spiritual dance. When Narvari watched closely, she saw that the man’s graceful movements were actually controlling the wind. Narvari would have never thought that a person with such bulky muscles could be this graceful.

Then he stopped moving. He stood still as his sharp brown eyes gazed in Narvari’s direction as if looking for someone. Narvari knew the man couldn’t see him. The large tree concealed her body.

“Don’t be shy,” he said. “You can come out.”

Narvari raised a brow. Was the man talking to her? She discreetly looked around her to see if he was referring to someone else but there was no one else around.

“I’m talking to you, rookie.” He chuckled. When Narvari didn’t come out, he continued, “The tall dark-skinned girl with the brown eyes and cornrows wearing the black shirt and denim pants, hiding behind the tree like a little b–”

“Jesus Christ.” Narvari came into plain sight. “Can you even be more descriptive?”

How had he seen her anyway? For the first time, no longer entranced by the man’s dance, Narvari studied him carefully. He looked like one of those new college graduates who spent a lot of time in a gym. He wasn’t overly bulky like those on steroids or anything but he still had bulging muscles. She had a feeling he could probably fell a tree with a single punch.

She could not tell the difference between people from earth and Agon, but if this man were from earth, then he was definitely East Asian. Yet, his silver eyes and light purple hair tied in a ponytail screamed unearthly. Maybe he was wearing contact lenses. She almost assumed he had dyed his hair but then his eyebrows were the same light purple just like his hair.

He grinned. “I know. I’m a real catch.”

“Actually, I just think you look....” now how could she say this without being rude, “...unusual. But he was right. He was good-looking.

He laughed heartily. “And you look... mundane.” He smiled widely, challenging Narvari to refute his statement.

Narvari did not. She had to agree with whoever this man was. She stuck out like a sore thumb in this school. She didn’t think she was ugly or anything. She was just plain compared to everyone else she had seen here.