Battle Scars

《《Martina's POV》》

I finished my shift as an intern at a hospital in L.A. and I was exhausted. On top of the long day I had my bestfriends  car got towed so I had no other option but to ride my scooter. I carried my bag on my back and began my ride down the dark streets. The wind blew into my dark curls and I enjoyed this feeling of being in an empty street and letting all of my worries fade away.

It's Spring break and most teenagers my age are spending it in large events and concerts but I chose to follow my passion for helping people, its what I love to do ever since I was little.
'No matter who they are or where they've been I will always attend to a person in need.' That's my motto.

I ride my scooter down hill and I hear a loud bang come from the left side of the area, it startled me but  I ignored it and continued on my journey. As I was about to turn right, into a small park taking a shortcut home a sudden tall figure came to view in front of my speeding scooter and I made a sharp turn avoiding crashing into it.

"Ahhhhh fuck!" The tall figure yelled clasping his knee with his hand and limping. Blood oozed out and I realized he'd been shot by a gun. I had to help him, I thought to myself and so I  stopped my scooter and ran towards him. "Sir I'm Martina Herrera and I can help you, I just need you to stop moving and get on the ground ok" I said as I took my bag off of my shoulders.

He fell to the ground and I knelt down to try my best to stop the blood with the little material  that I kept in my bag. "What the fuck, what is a girl like you doing riding a scooter at 1am in the morning huh?" He questioned in between grunts of pain when I applied pressure to his wound. "Uhm I work long hours at a hospital down tow--" my sentence was cut short by a loud bang, louder than the one I heard before, the man I was attending to now had a hole piercing his abdomen and he lay down lifeless.

I brought my gaze up behind him and saw a man holding his gun pointed at me. He was badly injured too. His arm was snaked around his torso and the other held the gun.
What have I gotten myself into.

I raised my hands in the air surrendering and stood up slowly "Don't fucking move!" He yelled and I flinched at the movement of his finger towards the trigger of the gun in his hand. He limped over to me his tall build towered over me and I started to panic.

"I-I-I was j-just trying to help him" I stutter and looked down at my feet scared to meet his gaze. I just witnessed him murder a man infront of me and I know what they do to the witness, they kill them just to clear their tracks. He's  going to kill me right now.
"Now what the hell am I going to do with you?" he thought outloud and stood impossibly close to me that the tip of my nose touched his abdomen.

I was scared for my life and a single tear drop left my eye followed by many more. "Please don't hurt me, I was trying to help him thats it--" I plead as tears uncontrollably pour down my face.
"Oh really now, what is a girl like you doing helping a random stranger who got shot at 1am. Now isn't that suspicious?" He asked looking down at me. Is he being serious right now, he's the one who killed a man and he's calling me suspicious, yet again what does he mean by that.