Gem • Butterfly

Continuing HermittpadRecap spring prompts challenge! The fourth prompt is butterfly. 
I do apologise for any spelling/grammar mistakes.
Tw: minor angst
Wc: About 858 words
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eyes fluttered open as they placed a hand over their eyes, waiting till they adjusted to the light. A gap through the foliages of the trees was the cause for this, as the sun leaked through.

They let out a small groan, as they pushed themselves up. Their head was clouded with sleep.

Letting out a small yawn, they sleepily rubbed their eyes. Finding that their eyes were adjusting to the light, they looked around them. They were in a forest. A small soft baa caught their attention, and so they looked towards the sound.

A young lamb laid by their feet curled up against them.

They giggled, seeing where the sound had come from and what it had come from. Filled with excitement, they gently patted it.

The lamb softly nudged against them, before stretching itself and standing up. It stomped a little, before looking at them. They carefully stroked the side of his face, their hands filled with care.

Seeing a large shadow behind, they glanced behind the lamb. A sheep was standing there looking at the interaction between the two. Figuring it must be the lamb's mother (something in them pointed at this... what it was, they didn't know but they felt a strong sense that that was its mother), they gestured to the young lamb to go with it.

And somehow, it understood. It understood what they tried to say.

The sheep bowed its head slightly; perhaps... just perhaps that was its way of saying thank you. The lamb followed the sheep as it walked away and soon enough, the pair disappeared between the trees.

Despite the fact that they had just seen their newly found friend go, they smiled. They had done a good thing; it was with its own kind now and they were happy for that. Perhaps one day, their path would cross and they would stumble across them once again.

They didn't have to wait long, for another friend soon came along. This one, however, had wings and fluttered around.

They quietly gasped and stretched a hand out, seeing a butterfly around them. And to their surprise, it landed on their hand. Their eyes twinkled brightly at this and they let out a soft hum.

Another butterfly soon flew around them. Something in them gave them a strong desire to follow them. This desire heightened when they saw that the butterfly that was previously on their hand, started fluttering and followed the one that had just come.

They lightly laughed, as they stood up and followed the butterflies. A couple more joined them, as they ran after the original two. The ones that had joined them fluttered around them.

They were pretty and through the gaps in the trees, the sun's rays shined down on them making them glow and look even more vibrant.

They weren't shown how long they ran, but eventually, the butterflies stopped flying. They formed an arch, highlighting a space between the tree's trunk.

They stopped, hesitant about what to do before deciding they should perhaps... just maybe they should check what was behind those trees. Somehow, the butterflies gave them courage and so they stepped into the space they had highlighted.

Their eyes opened wide with excitement. They saw many things and those things were buildings... of all sizes... of all colours. It seemed so familiar... but at that moment, they didn't dwell on it.

Something else stirred inside them and with a glance behind (the butterflies were still there), they continued walking forward.

They hadn't walked much before a loud gasp and shout of joy caught their attention. And before they knew what was happening, they were tackled into a tight hug.

"Gem! Gem, you're okay!" The person who was hugging them shouted, joy evident in their voice. They winced a little, but soon enough that was pushed to the side as they recognised their friend... their fellow Hermit.

"Pearl!" They - Gemini exclaimed back.

"Oh my goodness, you're okay! Everyone's been worried about you, since you disappeared a couple of days ago," A smile was on Pearl's face as she let go. She breathed a sigh of relief, at seeing that her friend was okay.

"Well, I'm here now!" Gem smiled. Memories rushed into her and she remembered... she remembered what had happened. She had gotten lost while exploring and must've fallen asleep at some point.

"I've forgotten my communicator," Pearl muttered while searching for something.  Glancing back up, she tugged Gem's arm. "C'mon, let's go express the good news that you're okay!"

Gem nodded and with one final glance behind her, she gave a farewell wave and a nod to the butterflies that were no longer forming an arch but rather fluttering around.

"Thank you," She whispered and smiled before following Pearl. They were off to go find Xisuma, so they could inform the rest of Hermits that Gem was okay and very much alive.

-AquaticMcFan
May you fly over the rainbow and find peace! Thanks for reading!