Renskall • Forgotten

My way overdue continuation of FandomsUnite05 Switcheroo challenge, using the prompt forgotten (angst-->fluff).
I do apologise for any spelling/grammar mistakes.
Tw: shipping is present, hints of angst
Wc: About 940 words
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ren sighed; he'd been hearing the cheers of the Hermits that were celebrating for some time now. Since Wels had returned back to the new season, naturally there had to be some sort of celebration, so a party was thrown in that honour.

But of course, this was the Hermitcraft server after all...meaning it had turned sort of crazy and chaotic by now. Everyone was enjoying and having fun...well most of them at least.

Ren had been hoping someone would come to him and ask him to join them. It felt too awkward to just pop in and interrupt their fun. Though it appeared that he'd been forgotten since it seemed like no-one had remembered he even existed. "Good, not like I'll be much fun anyway...nothing but a burden," Ren sadly thought to himself.

Ren glanced around him. The actual party was held in a small clearing, surrounded by tall lushes trees. After just standing there feeling useless and forgotten for a good while. Ren figured he would be better off, just looking around.

And so when he'd explored a bit of the surrounding area, he had managed to stumble upon a small lake that was nearby. It had seemed like a pleasant area to spend the rest of the party. A pleasant but lonely spot. So apparently here he was leaning against one of the surrounding trees...feeling useless and forgotten as always.

Hearing some footsteps snapped Ren out of his trail of thoughts. He looked around again confused. "I must be dreaming; nobody's going to look for me, let alone find me here." Ren thought to himself.

He let out another sigh, Ren disliked being left out...and forgotten. "I'm being selfish, aren't I? It's supposed to be for Wels...still I would have liked to be remembered." He shook his head. The more he thought...the more he got saddened by his own thoughts.

He stepped forwards, glancing at his reflection in the lake. Its deep blue water was shimmered in the sun's rays, it was very pretty. "Unlike me."

A trail of negative thoughts rambled through Ren's head. "Unless...burden...not even good looking." He suddenly brought his hand to his cheek noticing it felt wet.

"Tears. Great...useless and sensitive as well." He used his hand to brush away the couple of tears that had fallen. Ren sighed as he stepped back and leaned against the tree again. He closed his eyes.

"What are you doing here all by yourself?" Someone suddenly asked from behind him.

His eyes quickly fluttered as he opened them, Ren jumped in surprise. He turned his head, looking towards the sound of the voice. A flicker of surprise brushed through him, realising it was Iskall that had spoken. They were standing there...just resting against a tree's trunk as they waited for a response from Ren.

Ren tilted his head, "Wait what are you doing here Iskall? How did you know I was here? When did you even arrive?" He asked, visibly confused.

Ren paused for a brief second, before quickly adding. "Shouldn't you be out there celebrating with the others?" Ren asked with a more bitter and faltering tone.

"So many questions and I recall being the first to ask a question," Iskall chuckled. "But as to why I'm here, let me ask you something first. Why would I be out there having fun...when you're here all by yourself?"

"Umm...because uh," Ren started, beginning to feel a bit flustered by the question. "Because oh, yes...maybe I want to be alone." Ren eventually said.

Iskall stared at him with disbelief, "Ren...you despise being alone."

"Well no and yes but-"

Iskall sighed, "You'd thought we'd forgotten you, didn't you?"

Ren went quiet, not wanting to reply to the question.

"I noticed when you had left," Iskall continued. "You didn't think I'd actually forget you?"

"Maybe...alright, yes..."

Iskall sighed, "The others may have forgotten you but I certainly won't," Iskall firmly said.

"You will one day...nothing but a burden," Ren mumbled under his breath.

"No, I won't," Iskall replied, his voice still stern.

"You will..." Ren mumbled, he looked away not liking Iskall's tone of voice.

Noticing Ren's discomfort, Iskall voice softened although it still had a faint hint sterness to it, "Look you won't be forgotten...I won't forget you."

"Thank you..." Ren whispered.

Iskall warmly smiled. Both of them went quiet, as a pause of peaceful quietness overtook them.

"Shall we go and join them again?" Iskall eventually asked, their voice had returned back to his usual cheerfulness.

"Well...I guess so."

"Alright then."

"Although I have one thing left to say," Ren slowly began. Iskall warily looked at him, they were slightly suspicious. Ren had mischievous look on his face.

"The last one there uh, loses so... I'll see you there," Ren hurriedly said as he turned around and headed back to the direction of the party.

"Wait what...hey! Not fair!" Iskall shouted. "I should've known...he's literally just won me now." They thought to themselves, amused. They shook their head, waiting a couple of seconds before chasing after Ren.

"Perhaps I wasn't so forgotten after all," Ren thought to himself, with a smile as he slowed his pace down and waited for Iskall to catch up to him. "Perhaps...just perhaps I wasn't forgotten after all."

-AquaticMcFan
May you fly over the rainbow and find peace! Thanks for reading!