Chapter 3

No Veritaserum.

Hermione furrowed her brows at the message. Who was he kidding? Had being Crucio'd addled Malfoy's brain? She shook her head in disbelief and shoved the Galleon back in her pocket, returning to the matter at hand.

Hermione sat with Ron and Harry in their bedroom at Paddington safe house, mulling over what was known of the Horcruxes. As per Tonks' instructions, she Obliviated them after requesting their permission. Neither one of them was happy about it, but they grudgingly allowed her to do what was necessary. Ron managed to see a bright side, in the typical fashion that Ronald Bilius Weasley would.

"If I kill the ponce in battle, then I won't have to feel bad about it, now will I? Obliviate away."

She looked down at her notes. With the help of Dumbledore's memories and books Minerva had been smuggling them from the Hogwarts' library, they were somewhat more intelligent now than a few months ago. The trio didn't know who R.A.B was or what the actual Horcrux where they'd found his note was supposed to be. But they had identified the Hufflepuff cup and the Ravenclaw diadem, which was somewhat encouraging.

Where they were located remained to be determined.

"I think we need to raid Ministry files," Harry said, breaking the silence. "R.A.B. is our only lead on that locket."

"Don't you have any ideas Hermione?" Ron asked.

He always looked to her to provide the solution. She usually had one. This time, she was coming up short.

"Dumbledore suggested that the Horcruxes would be hidden in places that were meaningful to You-Know-Who." Hermione replied. "Hogwarts is an obvious location, but where? And I doubt he'd put all of the Horcruxes there."

"We need to go to Hogwarts anyway to get the basilisk teeth," Ron reminded her.

"Yes, but we shouldn't go there until we know where to look. We can't just go wandering around, even if Minerva is still there," she countered. "It's too risky."

"He trusted Lucius Malfoy with one of them," Harry reminded her. "Who else would he trust?"

"Peter Pettigrew?" She offered. He had brought Voldemort back.

Harry shook his head. "No, I didn't get the impression that Volde-"

"HARRY!" Ron shouted.

"-that You-Know-Who," Harry continued with a glare. "thought very highly of him from the way he was treated at the graveyard."

"Snape?" Hermione asked. "Yaxley? Bellatrix?"

Ron groaned and rubbed his eyes. "There are too many Death Eaters to choose from. They're like a fungus. Leave them alone for too long and they spread."