Chapter 53

June 1998

The Greengrasses were hosting an end of year party for the Slytherins who had gone back for seventh year. Greg and Vince were enthusiastically discussing their increased responsibilities as Death Eaters all evening. And now that the rest of their classmates had graduated, it was only a matter of time before they took the Dark Mark as well.

With the exception of Blaise, it still seemed. Once again, Draco had no idea how Yasmine Zabini had managed to save her son from such a fate.

"You really want this for Millie?" Draco asked, shoving his hands in his pockets

Greg watched Millicent Bulstrode, on her knees by the coffee table, taunting everyone around her into arm wrestling her. She was barefoot, her long blond hair was held back in a clip and she wore a shimmery gold sleeveless dress which showed off her broad shoulders and muscular arms.

Theo appeared to be considering it.

Theo was stupid.

"It's not as if she has a choice," Greg rationalized. "The Dark Lord will take everyone now that they're out of school. He'll finish off the Order soon and needs them for the last push. We all know that." He scratched the back of his head, shorn short in a crew cut. "It'll be less painful if she comes voluntarily like we did. And then it'll all be over."

Draco eyed him. "It hasn't been less painful."

Greg had only been tortured once, after the first safe house raid along with everyone else who hadn't brought back a prisoner. He hadn't yet displeased the Dark Lord personally, but it was only a matter of time.

"But I thought–"

Draco shook his head. "The Dark Lord has high standards. He wasn't happy during the failed Mudblood raids."

He took a wine glass off a floating tray that neared him, so did Greg.

Greg furrowed his brow. "But if you do everything he asks, he rewards you. We're all fighting on the same side."

The conversation was veering into dangerous territory. Greg was too loyal to the Dark Lord's cause. Draco should have known since he had been able to kill Muggle-born children. It appeared Greg didn't consider what would have happened if he had failed to kill upon command. Even with the implicit threat to his parents.

Reflexively, Draco's stomach did a small heave whenever his nightmarish thoughts of the murdered families returned. He swallowed some wine, washing down the bile that accumulated in his mouth.

"Yes, the Dark Lord rewards those who serve him well." He sipped again, clearing his mouth of the remaining acid. "And punishes those who don't."

Greg returned his gaze to Millie. Her face broke out in a large predatory grin as Theo took the bait. He dropped to his knees on the opposite end of the table and clasped Millie's right hand. Daphne counted down and the two started arm wrestling. At least, Theo did. Millie didn't look like she was trying at all. She sat calmly, sipping her glass of wine while Theo struggled, veins protruding from his forehead while his face turned red. After a few moments he started straining his body, shifting his posture to get more of his back behind his hand, and then his legs.

Millie glanced over her shoulder and made a comment to Pansy, who was watching the scene with a raised eyebrow, clearly amused. Millie took another sip of her wine, calmly watching Theo's antics. Eventually Theo gave up all pretense and added his other hand, still struggling to push Millie's arm down. He braced his entire body against her hand when she decided to put him out of his misery. With a slam of his hands down on the coffee table, he tumbled to the floor. She jumped up, raising both arms into the air in victory and turning around towards the onlookers.