Chapter 62

Everyone was in such a good mood; a party was inevitable. Every Order member had been rescued from Malfoy Manor with the exception of Dedalus Diggle. Luna joined the Order and quickly became the life of the party, and was already a ridiculously adept duelist. Xenophilius joined the party as well, and was currently trying to explain to Harry the importance of the Deathstick, or Elderwand. Hermione watched as Harry's eyes gradually glazed over. Even Mary and her husband Reginald came to celebrate with them. She had healed the prisoners after all, and wanted to celebrate their return to health and normalcy.

Although no one else was privy to their mission, the Trio were slowly but surely knocking out Voldemort's Horcruxes. Harry and Ron weren't even daunted by the prospect of breaking into Bellatrix's vault. They had her wand, they had her hair, they had Griphook to help them, anything was possible.

"You look pretty, Hermione," Lavender said, eyeing her up and down. "A nice change from your jeans and T-shirts."

Hermione had borrowed a simple black cocktail dress from Lavender for the occasion. She was tired of her clothing; practical for combat training, but not very festive. She hoped the fancier outfit would improve her mood.

It hadn't.

Hermione couldn't share in everyone's joy. The grim realities of war hit her full force. Eloise, Oliver and Hannah may be back, but she caught the vacant expressions on their faces when they thought no one was looking. Haunted by memories they didn't wish to share.

Especially Eloise.

Hermione remembered Dedalus again. His eyes closed and his smile sad as he begged her to kill him. If she hadn't killed him, he might be recovering in the Infirmary right now. And she thought of Draco, who was made to pay for decisions she made.

Draco.

She had to tell him the truth. Even if she didn't know how to help him right now, he deserved at least that. She couldn't lie to him anymore. She shouldn't.

The next time them met, she'd tell him.

"Justin's been avoiding me."

"What?" Hermione asked, pulled from her thoughts.

"The past two months or so, he hasn't been interested," Lavender explained, watching Justin brood in a corner.

Hermione furrowed her brow in confusion. "Aren't you with Dean?"

"No," Lavender rolled her eyes. "I'm with Oliver now that he's back."

"But," Hermione glanced from Justin standing alone with his arms crossed, to Oliver, smiling shyly in their direction. He met Hermione's eyes and his face fell. Oliver didn't judge her, but by unspoken agreement, neither had mentioned what happened in the Malfoy Manor dungeons. Eloise hadn't either, but she refused to speak to Hermione about anything, anyway. Hermione turned to Lavender, forcing a grin to her face, and Dedalus' accepting smile to the back of her memories.

"So why would you care about Justin?"

"Well I'd go between the two," she waved her hand flippantly. "We weren't exclusive. They didn't mind before."

"But not with Dean?" Hermione asked, puzzled.

Lavender shook her head. "Three is too many."

"Of course," Hermione nodded sagely. "Two men tops."

"And there's the conflict of interest, with the bomb making."

"Obviously," Hermione agreed with a small smile. "You've got to separate your personal and professional life." She watched Justin in the corner. He was sipping a butter beer by himself, occasionally looking at the clock on the wall. "Maybe Justin wanted a more monogamous relationship?" she suggested.