Chapter 77

Draco eyed his mother reading peacefully in the library. Flexing his fingers nervously, he peered down the foyer to where his father sat engrossed over some parchments in his study. The Dark Lord was away and the offer of a prisoner exchange had been answered through an announcement in the Daily Prophet.

Events were coalescing.

Draco wouldn't get a better chance than right now. The sooner he killed Nagini, the sooner the war would end. He had no idea what fresh hell would be unleashed once he finished off the snake and knew he needed to get his parents out before doing anything irreversible.

Inhaling a steadying breath, he walked over to his mother.

"Mother," he called, and she glanced up from her book. "Will you join me outside?"

Pursing her lips, she studied him suspiciously, to which he returned his most winning smile. That made her narrow her eyes, a sure sign he was up to something. He'd been giving her that smile to cover up mischief for as long as he could remember.

It worked... once.

Walking outside was an unusual request with how busy he'd been of late, but she placed her book on the side table and approached him, inserting her hand in the crook of his elbow.

"I've wanted to check the rose bushes," she suggested, raising a conspiratorial eyebrow.

Draco smirked down at her in appreciation. The density of the growth and presence of thorns would make it nigh impossible for Nagini to follow. "An excellent idea, mother."

They exited the Manor into the balmy autumn weather and strolled down one of the garden paths together. He watched his mother's pale blond hair pick up slightly in the breeze as they meandered down the stone path. A flock of geese flew overhead, their honking was loud and then faded into the distance. Finally, they reached the rose garden.

The path was wide enough for two people, but too convoluted for Nagini to enter. Bright reds and pinks interspersed throughout the dark green bushes. Draco flared his nostrils, nervous, and yet enjoying the fragrance. His mother turned to him expectantly, blue eyes bright and wary. He didn't have time for games and hidden meanings, and decided to lay all the cards on the table. Casting a Muffliato for good measure, he peered around them and then fixed his gaze on his mother's face.

"If the Order could kill the Dark Lord, would you switch sides?"

Whatever she expected him to say, this was not it. She opened her mouth to reply, swallowed and then cleared her throat.

"Can they?" Her tone was hopeful and Draco released the tension in his shoulders. His mother would come with him; Yasmine was right again.

"Yes. They've known how to for a while now, but it'll happen when the prisoners are exchanged."

Her eyes widened in amazement and she grabbed his wrist. "You're the spy," she whispered incredulously. "Not Travers."

"I'm not the only one."

"Who else?" her voice rose in surprise.

"Severus."

Her lips parted. "No."

"Yasmine."

"Merlin."

"Kingsley."

"I can't believe it," she gasped. "How long have you been helping them?"

"Since last summer."

She studied his face in shock, mulling over the implications. "I'm so sorry, Draco." Her eyes watered and she tightened her grip on his wrist. "I'm your mother, I should have known."