Chapter 50

Author's Note: After Chapter 50, there is a pause in the narrative, if you need it, it's suggested you take a break. The next suggested chapter break is Chapter 64.

Also: there is a trigger warning associated with this chapter, see the chapter end notes for more detail.

"Lucius! Draco!"

Draco was leaning over some administrative assistant's desk and turned to see Kingsley Shacklebolt calling from his office. He quickly found that a bit of innocuous flirting with middle aged admins got him nearly everything he wanted from the offices he and his father were infiltrating, without too much trouble. They were usually married and not interested in an affair. They simply appreciated the attention from a young attractive male. He hated all of it, but preferred flirting over subtly threatening to poison someone's son.

Something he had already done this morning.

Draco winked at her before pushing himself off her desk and following his father down the hall, hearing her giggle.

"I just heard your bill in the Wizengamot passed," Kingsley spoke from his office. "Come in for a celebratory drink."

His father paused before the door and glanced back at him, raising a cautionary eyebrow. Draco knew that look. Be on your guard. Kingsley had called it "their bill," which was an interesting turn of phrase. The bill had been championed by several Wizengamot members although he and his father had been subtly pushing from behind the scenes for months.

He followed his father in and took a seat in front of Kingsley's desk, smoothing out his robes. Hermione wanted to know the purpose of the Decriminalization of Interactions With Muggles Act. Which meant the Order wanted to know, and what it had to do with Wembley Stadium. His father was tight lipped about anything having to do with the 'why' of their efforts and was only forthcoming about the 'how.' Draco wasn't sure if his father knew the purpose or not. Maybe this was his chance to finally learn something and prove he could be trusted. He felt nervous, wondering how much he could steer the conversation without endangering himself or his father.

Kingsley poured some brandy for the two of them and himself. He raised his glass and drank first, showing the drinks hadn't been spiked. Draco raised his glass and sipped at the brandy, enjoying the sweet taste on his tongue.

By unspoken agreement, Draco was usually silent in his father's dealings with Kingsley, save for a few pleasantries. There was plenty to learn by watching the two older wizards in action. He always felt like he was observing a game, and figuring out the rules on the fly.

"How is Narcissa?"

His father smiled. "Very well, thank you. Busy planning her summer party."

"Ah, yes. Every Narcissa Malfoy event is a singular experience."

"I'll tell her you said so, she'll be pleased." His father sipped his drink slowly. "You won't be bringing anyone with you, Kingsley? The perennial bachelor, aren't you?"

"The international work during my Auror days didn't leave much time to court a wife."

"Perhaps that may change now that your Auror days are behind you?"

"Who knows?" Kingsley shrugged. "When things settle down, I may start looking."

Kingsley and his father eyed each other. Pleasantries now exhausted, his father was waiting for Kingsley to get to the point of their impromptu meeting. Not that Kingsley would ever arrive at it so directly. Perhaps he was hoping his father might speak first after he called the Decriminalization of Interactions With Muggles Act 'their bill.' But his father said nothing, nonplussed by uncomfortable silences.