Chapter 72

Author's Note: There is a trigger warning with this chapter, scroll to the end if you need more detail.

Hermione sat naked on the bed in her parents' guest room, waiting for Draco to come back from the loo. Her body still ached here and there, but the pain was manageable, and receding. She glanced at the doorway. The hallway lighting seemed off, and the shadows cast on the rug by her feet were skewed and unnatural.

Something about the room felt strange, as if she didn't belong here. The guest room didn't seem familiar anymore. She rubbed her eyes, maybe it was an after effect of being tortured – unable to feel safe in the familiarity of her own childhood home.

Hermione heard Draco's footfalls in the hallway and he paused under the doorframe. His black boxers contrasted starkly against the pale shade of his skin, and the light behind him cast a long shadow on the floor of the darkened room. His shadow was odd, it looked as if he was wearing a hooded cloak. She raised her eyes, watching him curiously. His lips pursed as he studied the inside of his forearm and his hair covered his face, she couldn't see his expression.

Or his eyes.

"Is something wrong?"

He rubbed the area of his Dark Mark with his thumb and hissed. "I'm not sure, it's never done this before."

Concerned, she stood up and approached him.

"Here, let me see." Hermione pulled his arm towards her an inspected the dark, scaly skin. "It doesn't look any different."

"It's sensitive. Almost like it itches."

"It doesn't hurt?"

"No." His eyes met hers, brows furrowed in worry. "It... tingles. It's never done that before."

Curious, she leaned over to inspect the brand more closely, turning his arm over. His breathing became heavier while he awaited her verdict. It didn't appear any different. The only sensation he had ever described from his Dark Mark was pain. Gently, she traced the outline of the mark on his skin, and he whimpered.

Hermione looked up sharply to meet his surprised, wide-eyed expression.

"Did that hurt?"

"I...I think..." Draco stammered, and his cheeks flushed. "No, it... I don't understand what's happening."

Over their time together, she'd memorized the shape and outline of the brand, tracing it with her fingers more times than she could count. She still couldn't determine what was so different, so she dragged her fingertip over the outline again.

Draco's eyes fluttered closed and a soft groan escaped his lips. He leaned into her and grabbed her upper arm with his other hand.

Hermione had seen that expression on his face many times before, and was shocked to see it now. "It's erogenous?"

He opened his eyes, ashamed, and nodded wordlessly. Apprehensive at what the shift in sensation meant, she made to touch it again but he grabbed her wrist.

"Don't," his voice was alarmed. "It's not supposed to feel good."

Remembering how Draco had wanted her to hurt him, she understood his concern. The Dark Mark represented the terrible things he did, the bad choices he made, and the horrible sins he committed when having no other choice. He wanted to be punished for them. The burning pain he felt when it was activated served that purpose. If it felt good... it would be a reward, not a punishment.

"I'm sorry, I won't touch it if you don't want me to." Her eyes roamed over the Dark Mark in thought. Draco had changed since his increased usage of Unforgivable Curses. She bit her lip and gazed up at him, horrified at where her thoughts led. "Maybe it is supposed to feel good now."