Chapter 6

Hermione's stomach lurched. It was a trap. Victor betrayed them.

All three reached for their wands and stopped when the old woman spoke again.

"I've been waiting for you. Perhaps you knew my niece?" She pointed a gnarled index finger to the name plate at her desk.

Maybus Trelawny.

Oh.

Hermione had never known a real seer. Divination at Hogwarts was a load of shit, and Professor Trelawny was a fraud, but the Department of Mysteries was filled with prophecies collected throughout the ages. Obviously, it was possible to see the future to some extent. Voldemort had certainly put stock in divination, as had Dumbledore.

"And I know what you seek." The librarian's voice creaked like old cupboard hinges in need of a good oiling. "Come with me."

Maybus hobbled around her desk and headed off towards the stacks. Completely oblivious to the open-mouthed, slack-jawed Golden Trio.

Not a trap.

Hermione breathed out slowly, heart was still racing. Her shoulders sagged in relief and she relaxed her grip on her wand.

Not a trap.

Sybil Trelawny was on Dumbledore's side. Was there any reason to think her aunt wouldn't be? Hermione snuck a glance at Harry, and he shrugged, still visibly shaken. What choice did they have?

Hermione tugged on Ron's hand and the trio cautiously followed Madam Trelawney through the maze of books. The librarian hummed to herself, tapping and waving her wand occasionally. With each flick and swish, books straightened on the shelves, misplaced scrolls and tomes whisked back to their rightful place, and books left carelessly on the floor returned to where they belonged as she tsk'd in disappointment.

They turned down another aisle and the woman pointed to four books on the shelf of varying size and state of repair. One was entitled Treatise on the Horcrux. Hermione's eyes widened and she reached out for it immediately. Considering the magic was so taboo Dumbledore didn't even share the sole book he owned and Slughorn's reluctance to share that he had ever discussed the topic with Voldemort, she was shocked to see a tome with the name of the very object they needed in the title.

Hermione turned to Maybus.

"Can we take these?"

The old librarian nodded. "You won't have time enough to read them here."

Harry took the other three and they stuffed all four books in Hermione's beaded bag.

"Madam Trelawny," Ron called in a high pitched voice, peering up at the old woman. This whole arrangement as a family was so odd.

The old woman gazed down at him over her hooked nose.

"Can you tell us what will happen? Will we win?"