Chapter 58

Note:

There's a trigger warning associated with the chapter, more detail in the chapter end notes for those that need it.

God fucking dammit.

Hermione was going to get herself killed. She was to get him killed, she was going to get his parents killed, she was going to get Boy Wonder killed and this whole shit show would be for nothing.

And even if by some miracle they made it out, his chances of getting that Unbreakable Vow were just shot to hell. So much for building trust with the Order.

FUCK.

Draco gripped his champagne glass so hard he thought it might shatter in his hand. But he smiled and watched his parents speak to the attentive crowd, toasting the Ministry and their efforts over the past year to cleanse society of the Mudblood scourge. At least they'd keep everyone's focus drawn away from the idiot Trio while they made their exit with the prisoners.

He wandered around, seemingly aimless, but headed towards the double doors of the ballroom while his mother spoke. Releasing a sigh of frustration, he watched the hallway out of the corner of his eye. How were they getting out?

"Malfoy."

Draco groaned inwardly as Jugson stalked over, drink in hand.

"How's your shoulder?" He shot Draco a sinister grin.

Draco cleared his throat, furiously thinking how to rid himself of Jugson. "Healed."

The last time they sparred, Jugson had dislocated it and broken one of Draco's ribs with a broom handle.

"You're a hell of a lot tougher than you look."

"Not much of a choice, is there?" Draco retorted resentfully, scanning the crowd for ideas.

"No, no there isn't." Jugson downed his drink and punched Draco lightly in the previously dislocated shoulder. Pain shot down his arm and torso.

"Fucking hell." Glaring at Jugson, he massaged the sore area.

The large Death Eater chuckled. "Your mother puts together a good spread." He grabbed some beef tartare off a floating tray and swallowed it without chewing. "Almost makes it worth putting up with these worthless sacks of flesh," he growled, motioning to the guests with his empty glass.

Draco didn't know if Hermione would be making her way out the front entrance. Or when. Frantically, he searched the ballroom for inspiration on how to get Jugson away and noticed Blaise's mother chatting with Pansy's parents.

Perfect.

"I heard Yasmine Zabini is single again."

"Oh yeah?" Jugson's predatory smile bared his teeth. "I thought she was seeing someone."

"No." Draco shook his head. "Blaise told me."

He waited while Jugson eyed Blaise's mother, sizing up his chances. "Thanks for the tip, Malfoy."

He clapped Draco on the back this time, making him pitch forward and spill champagne on his front.

"Sod it all," he muttered, cleaning himself off while Jugson stalked over to Yasmine to try his luck.

It was just in time. For a moment his blood ran cold in fear. He saw the woman Hermione came Polyjuiced as limping down the corridor with the help of someone else. Did Greyback hurt her? He walked out into the foyer and they stopped, wide-eyed in terror at his presence. The woman started trembling.