Chapter 41

Hermione reached for him to Apparate and instead, Draco grabbed her hand, yanking her towards him playfully. She yelped as she stumbled into him and he pulled her close, wrapping his arms around her to hold her tightly against his chest. She looked up at him with a twinkle in her hazel eyes, beaming.

Between the feel of her body against his and the promise of a day alone together with sunny weather, without war or death, all memories of Alecto, torture and the threat to his parents were vanished from his mind now.

She Apparated them close to a tree and thankfully they were out of sight, but Hermione had taken a chance that Muggles would have seen them. She glanced around, flustered, and then up at him brushing a few errant curls out of her face.

"Where are we?" he asked, curious.

"Leicester," she replied, as if that explained everything.

Draco scanned his surroundings to see a series of buildings dispersed amongst a grassy lawn with sidewalk pathways. Lots of people were strolling the grounds, enjoying the unusually warm weather. Parents held hands with children. Some were out walking dogs. One of the buildings had a design he'd never seen before and he focused his gaze, trying to figure out what it might be.

"What's with the gigantic silver beehive?"

Hermione's turned to face him with one of the happiest smiles he had ever seen

Hermione's turned to face him with one of the happiest smiles he had ever seen. On anyone. Her excitement was contagious, and he felt himself smiling too, despite the horror of the morning. Without answering, she grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the oddest looking building he'd ever seen. They passed a sign that read "National Space Centre" and he stopped dead in his tracks. Hermione didn't notice he had halted and almost fell into him after being suddenly pulled back.

"Are you showing me spaceships?" Draco asked her in disbelief. "Is this a Muggle astronomy museum?"

"Well not exactly spaceships," Hermione turned to him, hazel eyes twinkling with delight. "The silver beehive building has two rocket nozzles and inside the museum they have one of the three Soyuz caps–"

He cut off her explanation by pulling her into a searing kiss. He bent over towards her, cupping her jaw, cradling the back of her head and plundering her mouth with as much passion as he could. Briefly he recalled Alecto's mouth on his just this morning but the touch and taste of Hermione chased those thoughts away. With each swipe of his tongue and each movement of his lips, Draco tried to tell Hermione what she meant to him.

She didn't have to explain to him why she wasn't inferior or why her parents weren't inferior. Or teach him the Patronus charm. She didn't have to take him to see a movie that she had clearly seen many times before. She didn't have to stay awake all night while he healed from the implant extraction. She didn't have to show him Muggle art and entertain his bigoted ideas, or care for him while he puked his drunken guts out and listen to his horrific confessions, and she certainly didn't have to take him to see a field of development completely foreign to the Wizarding world.