Chapter 16

Hermione, the Weasleys and Harry waited in tense silence for Mary to call them in from the waiting room. A dark artifact triggered by the ward breach at Rowle Manor had injured Ron, Angelina Johnson and Colin Creevey. Malfoy's intelligence had been critical, and Kingsley had one of his ministry contacts supplement the information that was given. But even with the care they had taken, there were still injuries.

All things considered, the raid was successful. If teaching the prat complex charms was what he demanded for plans this detailed, then Hermione would happily comply. No one had died, but the injuries reminded Hermione of how close to death any of them could be, at any time. Like when they moved Harry from the Dursley's in the summer.

It was a war, after all.

Rowle and his wife were currently locked away in Pinner being interrogated by Tonks and no one even knew they were missing yet. Luckily, Tonks was able to wrangle information out of Rowle's wife regarding the dark curses put on Ron, Angelina and Colin which aided the Ravenclaw trio in their efforts to heal them.

Harry and Ginny were sitting in a corner, whispering, their fingers intertwined. Hermione didn't know what to do with her restless energy. The waiting was driving her nuts. She walked back and forth across the room, finally taking a seat to survey the walls, decorated even more obnoxiously with Ravenclaw paraphernalia than the infirmary and potions lab. She glanced at each of the Weasleys and then got up to pace some more. She was tempted to Apparate back to Paddington safe house to her bedroom and get a book to read, but wondered if others would think her rude.

She didn't think she'd be able to read anyway.

Angelina was the first to walk out the door of the infirmary and George slammed into her with a hug, repeatedly kissing the top of her head with something in between tenderness, need and relief.

"Ow," she winced. "Ow. Shite! Careful with the goods, Weasley."

He gingerly released her from his hold and looked apologetic, but teased her nonetheless. "You call me 'Weasley' because you still can't tell the difference between me and Fred. Even without the ear."

"Please," she scoffed. "I've been able to tell the difference since first year. You two aren't nearly as clever as you think."

"Excuse me," Fred called out from the corner he was pacing in. "We are cleverer than we think."

"The cleverest," George corrected.

"Hush, you two," Molly admonished them, visibly worried. Ron wasn't in critical condition, but she was still anxious. So was Hermione.

Colin walked out next and the Weasley clan whooped and clapped. He looked surprised and then a huge grin spread across his face. Fred presented him with a T-shirt that said, 'My family went into hiding and all I got was this lousy Death Eater.' Colin's grin spread even wider, and he laughed.

Hermione gazed over at each Weasley with an overwhelming sense of love and fondness. She didn't know how they opened their hearts so easily. Already having raised so many children, they took in Harry, Hermione, and now all these Muggle-borns who had left their families behind, alone in the war, not knowing if they would see them again.

Angelina, being Muggle-born, hid her family early on at George's insistence when he learned what Hermione had done. Dennis Creevey was in hiding with his family as well, after the Order had urged them to leave in the summer. Colin and Angelina were both alone. The Weasleys provided familial support for them all. Unconditional, unwavering, and with the whole of their being.

They were the heart of the Order.

Angelina spoke to George sharply and pointed at Colin, holding the T-shirt up to his chest. "I want one of those."