Chapter 17

Draco sat back on the couch in the Nott living room, swirling his Firewhisky. He watched the fire crackle in the hearth. Bits of wood popped in the flames every so often. A hearth should instill a feeling of warmth, family and security. It didn't feel like a home here though.

Nott Manor was cold. Empty. Heartless.

Growing up, Theo had always done his best to get out of the house, and Draco did his best to help him.

At least Nott Senior wasn't home now.

"How goes it with everyone's favorite reptile?" Theo quipped, blue eyes crinkling in amusement.

Draco shot him a warning look. "You'd best watch your mouth, Theo."

He was going to get his bony, snarky arse killed one day if he kept that up. And it certainly wasn't for lack of trying by his tosser of a father. Nott Senior wanted Theo to join the Dark Lord's ranks. Theo refused, and occasionally paid the price for it.

"Zero," Theo said emphatically. "Fucks."

"What?" Draco shifted his posture on the couch.

"That's how much I give," Theo replied, scratching the back of his neck and then running his hand through his short brown hair.

They drank in silence and Theo leaned his head back on the couch, staring up at the ceiling. Draco knew his friend felt trapped. Because Theo refused to join the Dark Lord's army, his father threatened to cut him off from his inheritance and wouldn't let him get a job or do anything else besides. Theo wanted to leave the house and strike out on his own. But he couldn't without a job, and his father was sabotaging every attempt to secure one.

Theo was trapped and angry. Similar to Draco.

But he was also bored. A bored Theo was a dangerous Theo. It made him liable to do something stupid.

"Is Pansy coming over?" Theo asked, still staring at the ceiling.

"No." Draco shook his head. "It's just you and me tonight. Daphne and Blaise are also busy."

"Busy," Theo repeated, making air quotes. "Is that what the kids are calling it these days?"

"Jealous?"

"Absolutely," he replied, unashamed. "I don't remember the last time my purple one-eyed monster has seen a breathing female."

"He's seen a non-breathing female?"

"Walked right into that one," Theo snorted.

Draco summoned the bowl of peanuts and popped a few in his mouth. He should get the chess board out since no one else was able to come tonight. "If it makes you feel any better, I don't see anybody anymore that isn't involved with the Dark Lord's army. Even Pansy. Not since Azkaban."

Theo shuddered visibly. "Dementors?"

"Fun times."

"You know..." Theo brought his head up. "You would see the rest of the group if you weren't the lizard man's favorite whipping boy."

Draco glared at him. "Not anymore. He's naffed off at everyone now."

Theo offered him a look of mock concern. "Are you feeling neglected?"

Draco wordlessly sent Theo the two fingered salute.

"I'm essentially a prisoner in my own home. Please tell me you're at least having fun at the Ministry?" Theo shifted his posture on the couch, leaning more to the left. "I'll live vicariously through your adventures."

"My adventures?" Draco looked at Theo in disbelief.

"Your world of bribery and extortion," Theo wagged his eyebrows. "The power behind the power. Tell me some tales, Draco. I'm dying here."