Shock and Delight II

This author has often thought the heart a most curious of instruments, heeding neither reason nor rank. For what possible explanation might Miss Bridgerton have for entertaining the suit of a mere baron when she seems to have secured a duke? Could the debutante's mind not be the only thing amiss? Let it be known dear reader, that if this bizarre behavior portends yet another scandal, then be sure I shall uncover it, for there is nothing like an excursion into nature to lift the spirits and loosen the tongue.

The sound of distant laughter filled the air of the park where many families had gathered in the warm afternoon. The Bridgertons were no different as some of the children had started their own game while some had decided to sit back and relax. Alina chose to sit next to Benedict who had been enjoying most of the baked goods that had been packed, crumbs on the front of his suit giving him away. From time-to-time Alina could see his attention being pulled to a young lady that she had recognized as Gregory and Hyacinth's governess, however she had never spoken to the girl before. She was quite beautiful and kind from what she had seen. Finally, after what felt like an hour of watching him Alina cleared her throat and made sure to speak softly. "She's quite pretty, why don't you go and speak to her?" She asked, leaning closer. Benedict snapped his eyes over to her and tried to sit up a little straighter.

"I do not know what you mean. I am simply enjoying the day." He played off his staring however his cheeks began to turn a little pink and Alina knew it wasn't because of the heat. Alina giggled but left it alone, not wanting to push him if he wasn't ready. Alina grabbed another lemon cookie when she had caught Violet's eye. The older woman motioned for her as stood watching her youngest children play some tossing game that Alina had no clue on how to play. Standing up Alina carefully walked around Daphne and Anthony and made her way over.

"How are you doing my dear? The heat isn't too troubling for you, is it?" Violet asked as she looped her arm through Alina's, bringing her closer.

"Not at all. The fresh air has been so lovely." Violet smiled and nodded and sighed happily. "How are you? Are you enjoying the day?"

"Oh, yes. It's so nice to see all my children so happy and having fun. Although I must say, there is another reason for my happiness. One that is quite new but quite exciting." Violet said with a beaming smile. Alina stared at her pseudo-mother confused until it finally hit her.

"You know." Alina confirmed quietly.

"Of course, my dear. I didn't want to say anything until I knew for sure. You had been clearing your dinner plate more than usual and you have been eating quite a bit of our sweets." Alina's cheeks turned red, and she quickly looked away in embarrassment. "Oh, it's nothing to be ashamed of! I was the same way when I was pregnant with Anthony. His father would say that I was always eating sweets to fill the child up with kindness. Although I have begun ton wonder where all that kindness had gone." Violet laughed softly and squeezed Alina's hand. "Have you told him the good news?" Alina shook her head and looked over to where Anthony sat alone, Daphne having up and left with the duke.

"No, I have not. I wanted to wait just awhile longer. I don't know how he will react." She admitted with a sigh.

"How will who react?" Anthony asked as he moved closer to his wife and mother. Before either of them could respond the Berbrooke's voice could be heard.

"Bridgerton! I bring cheerful news Bridgerton. I have taken matters in my own hands and sought a special license for my wedding to Miss Bridgerton." Berbrooke said with a very smug smile on his quite bruised face. If Alina hadn't heard what the man had said she would have laughed.

"There is to be no wedding." Anthony said as he came to stand a little further in front of Alina. "I told you. The arrangement is canceled."

"Lord Berbrooke, you look in a great deal of pain. Shall we continue his in a more private location?" Violet asked glancing around to make sure that this wouldn't cause such a scene.