An Unthinkable Fate

The frenzy of competition. The thrilling delight of hazarding your all. I am referring not to the lure of London's luxurious gaming halls but to a gamble with far higher stakes. Matrimony. For once that particular wager is placed, it cannot easily be undone. A fate which, I am sure, is met with both regret and sheer relief.

"It is not yet right. See how the cuffs are an inch too short?" Anthony directed the tailor as Javier tried on his suit for his upcoming wedding.

"Very well, sir." Javier chuckled slightly as he took off the jacket and handed it to the man.

"You are aware that it is my wedding and that I should adjust it to my own liking?" Javier said, raising a brow at Anthony. The Bridgerton had taken it upon himself to help Javier get him ready. "The wedding is not for another month."

"There is still much to do." Anthony insisted. Javier moved to sit on one of the chairs in Anthony's study. After the Bridgerton ball he had returned to London with the family of blue and even though he had his own manor, his brother in law had invited him over more than usual. "You and Alina seem to be doing better as of late." Anthony chuckled softly as he made his way to the tumbler of whiskey he had on hand. It was true, since the night of the ball he and Alina had tried to maintain the communication between them and it had proved helpful. He had made it a point that every morning the two of them would spend extra time in their bed together before starting their duties.

"Things are great, wonderful even." Anthony said honestly. Javier checked his watch and sighed before he stood back up. "Where are you going?"

"I must go to the Sharma's so my mother's rings can be fit for Miss Edwina." Javier explained before reaching for his jacket. "Try not to seem too happy, Bridgerton, you and my sister seem to have fun getting angry at each other and soon enough you will most likely be fighting once more."

"I'm not so sure about that." Anthony said with a smile. Javier chuckled and soon made his way out of the Bridgerton home and back to Lady Danbury's. His heart felt like it was running a smile and dropping through his chest at the same time as he was shown to the drawing room to wait for his new intended with the jeweler who was proving to be an interesting man. After some time the sound of someone entering the room caused him to turn.

"Lord Javalera?" Kate asked in surprise.

"Miss Sharma." Javier greeted in turn.

"Lord Javalera and his guest are waiting." The footman claimed as he ran in a few seconds later.

"I see that. Thank you." Kate replied, trying to maintain her manners.

"This is the jeweler. We are here to have Miss Edwina's betrothal ring altered to fit." Javier explained simply. Kate chuckled softly and placed her gloves on the back of the couch.

"My apologies, but my sister and my mother have not yet returned home."

"Of course. Then we shall trouble you no further." Javier nodded just as the jeweler spotted the table with sweets.

"Is that cake?" The man asked hopefully. "Lemon?"

"Pardon?" Kate asked taken off guard by the man.

"I fancy a good lemon." He chuckled, moving closer to the table. Kate stared at the two before sighing deeply.

"Might I offer you some refreshment, Mr.--"

"Brookes. Only if you insist. I mean, it would be churlish to refuse" Brookes responded, turning to look back at Javier. "Tea, three spoons of sugar, and perhaps some sandwiches too, thank you." He ordered looking back at Kate. Kate simply looked to her footman annoyed with the man before her and her footman shook his head in the same put out manner that she had felt and moved forward to help the man. Kate moved from the near doorway and took a seat across from the Brookes as he sipped his tea while Javier began to pace. Kate and Javier looked back toward each other and as the ticking sound from the clock echoed around the room Javier realized that Kate wouldn't break the now tense silence.