A Bee in Your Bonnet II

"Watch it now, Eloise. Yes, then." Lady Danbury praised as she stood a few feet away from the game. "Send it...send it!" She exclaimed as Eloise shot her ball through the wicket.

"Fantastic Eloise!" Alina cheered as she sat beside Violet in the shade. She had been watching the entire game sipping her tea and thankful to be out of the sun and heat. She quite enjoyed the company of the mother's and found it comforting to be in their presence, it gave her space to think and learn how to be the perfect viscountess from the best example.

"Oh, I must compliment you on your daughters, Lady Mary." Violet said with a gentle smile. They are a credit to you."

"They are my greatest blessings indeed." Lady Mary responded with motherly pride.

"It has been some time since you have been on English soil, has it not?" Alina asked softly.

"Not since I left with my late husband." Alina could see the pain in the woman's heart as she turned back to the game. "A lifetime ago, it seems."

"I quite understand." Violet replied with equal emotion. Alina turned back to the game as well as she continued to listen. "Aubrey Hall holds many such memories for me as well." Alina watched as Anthony smiled and playfully interacted with the others and she couldn't help but imagine what would happen if she were to lose him. The very thought of it caused an unknown pain to shoot through her body and tears to sting the back of her eyes. She realized that it was more likely for her to die during childbirth, hell, she almost did die bringing Edmund into the world and she could recall the absolute fear she saw in Anthony and those around her. She couldn't imagine the pain she would feel if she were to see Anthony's life leaving him and not being able to stop it. She would sooner give up her own life if it meant saving his own.

"Well, they are off to a slow start, but I have hopes of bloodshed yet." Lady Danbury said as she climbed up the few steps and took her seat on the other side of Lady Mary as Alina snapped back into reality and the other women to giggle.

"Lady Danbury jests. My children may be rivalrous, but we have yet to lose any limbs." Violet rebutted.

"Motherhood seems to suit the duchess very well." Alina said as they watched Daphne take her turn.

"Yes, it does." Violet agreed with a proud smile. "Just as well as it suits you, my dear." Violet leaned over and placed a hand over Alina's.

"Our matchmaking efforts last season were quite wise indeed, Lady Bridgerton." Lady Danbury said, bringing Violet's attention back to her.

"Yes. Perhaps we will have such success again, Lady Danbury." Violet agreed as they watched Javier with Edwina. Violet had become aware of the cold home that the Javalera children grew up in and once she had welcomed Alina into her home she couldn't help herself for bringing Javier into her family as well and although she had seen the rough ground Anthony and Javier had stood on in the beginning she had begun to love the baron to be just as much as her other sons and wanted the best for him. To her, Javier was just as much her son as Colin, Gregory, Benedict and Anthony were.

"If they can somehow stay the course." The rest of the game continued on and soon enough everyone playing found themselves coming to the last wickets. Alina and Lady Danbury made their ways down to the field to join the group. Alina stood between Anthony and Eloise grinning as Anthony's arm wrapped around her smaller frame as walked to the next wicket.

"You have the chance to best him!" Eloise exclaimed to Kate as moved forward after Javier.

"That would not be very sportsmanlike, would it?" Colin teased.