An Unthinkable Fate II

Alina sat at her dressing table and sighed heavily as she began to work on her earrings. "Are you sure you are quite ready for this?" Anthony asked, placing his hands on her shoulder as he watched her.

"I will be fine. The focus of the dinner is on Javi and Edwina and my father knows to behave in front of other families" Alina replied, focusing on her task at hand. "Besides it's not him that I am worried about"

"Then what are you worried about?"

"You saw how Javi was today before he fell into the water. He acts differently when Kate walks into the room. I want my brother to be happy and find love but he shouldn't hurt Edwina if he doesn't feel anything for her. Marrying someone who does not hold any feeling for you in their heart is a pain I do not wish on anyone" Anthony took in her words and kissed the top of her head. "I have been walking him all week and I...I told myself I would support his choice, but I am finding it quite difficult to continue to stay silent."

"You have been anything but silent when we are together" Anthony grinned playfully. Alina felt her face heat at his words then stood up to face him.

"That's not very funny, you know." Alina said, moving around him to grab her gloves. Anthony just chuckled at her reaction and led her out of their room and down to where the carriage was already waiting for them. Alina followed her husband unaware of the uncertain feelings that not only followed her but two others who will be attending the dinner. When Alina and Anthony arrived they were brought into the drawing room where Javier and the Sheffield's were already speaking.

"Lord and Lady Bridgerton, delighted to meet you" Lord Sheffield greeted as he stood. Anthony shook his head politely smiling.

"Lovely to meet you as well" Alina smiled and nodded to the two, she could see Javi trying to portray happiness but she could see just how uncomfortable he had been.

"Ah, Lord and Lady Sheffield, it has been too long," Lady Danbury announced as she made her way into the room with the Sharmas behind her. "May I present Miss Sharma and Miss Edwina Sharma"

"Oh my dear, look at you." Lady Sheffield cooed, moving closer to Edwina. "Isn't she quite as lovely as the report said?"

"You are too kind." Edwina replied with an endearing smile. "I'm most happy to make your acquaintance."

"We have been waiting so many years to meet you." Alina turned her eyes to watch Kate; she couldn't help but feel sorry for the older sister, knowing how it feels to be pushed aside and practically forgotten. "I wish to know everything about you. Do you enjoy dancing? Music?"

"You must accompany us to the opera." Lord Sheffield interjected. "We have a fine box which has been gathering dust."

"I do enjoy the opera." Edwina said happily unaware of how Javier and Kate kept glancing in each other's directions but never meeting eyes. "My sister Kate is the one who introduced me to it." Kate nodded and smiled as the air quickly began to fill with awkward tension within the family.

"Ah. Shall we go through to dinner?" Lady Danbury spoke up, saving them from the silence that continued to grow.

"Oh yes. Come with me child." Lady Sheffield gently grabbed Edwina's hand and led her into the dining room with everyone soon following. Just as they all began to take their seats the footman cleared his throat grabbing everyone's attention over to where Bruno Javalera stood proudly.

"Lord Javalera has arrived." The footman bowed his head respectfully.

"Wonderful to see that you've made it safely." Lady Danbury said, moving closer to greet the man.

"I wouldn't miss this for the world." Bruno stated and kissed Lady Danbury's hand. "Forgive me for being so late as my horse had thrown a shoe and it had taken them some time to see that it got fixed." Alina fought the urge not to roll her eyes at his words. She knew that his reason was far from the truth.