Capital R Rake II

Javier had had enough. It had been more than a week and all he had gone through had just made him tired. Anthony hadn't been wrong when it came to the young ladies and after getting his feet stepped on, repeating the same questions and having to listen to the worst musical talents he wanted nothing more than some quiet. He had yet to speak to his sister, knowing she would ask about his sudden change of heart on the subject and he didn't have it in him to have that conversation just yet. Finally, on a quiet, foggy morning, Javier relished in the soft air and silence. Suddenly the sound of another horse neighing and the pounding of its feet pulled him back to the present and just behind the trees in from of him a cloaked figure was racing by and just by the little light the morning had provided he could make out the rider wearing a blue dress. Thinking that she may be in danger he began to call out to her. "Miss, are you in trouble?!" The woman didn't respond. Javier looked around him trying to spot  anyone that could be chasing her but seeing nothing he grabbed the reins of his own horse and began to go after her. His own horse chased after her through the open green field. "Careful!" He called out, however there was still no answer. His horse came to a slow stop has the strange woman's own jumped over the laying bushes, successfully leaving him behind. The woman reached the top of the hill when she finally stopped and turned to look at who had begun to chase her. Javier watched the beautiful woman stare back at him and smile in amusement before she turned and rode off once more, leaving him heavily confused on the entire encounter. Perhaps the entire morning had been in his mind and the stress and lack of sleep he had was finally catching up to him, that must have been the cause of seeing such a beautiful woman riding through the hills. With that thought in mind Javier made his way back home to start his day like a good lord should. Tonight Lady Danbury was hosting her outstanding ball and it would not bode well for him to miss it and hopefully find the perfect woman.

Javier leisurely made his way back to the square and into his home and began his many duties that came with being a baron in Spain as well as completely set up his title in London and everything that came with it and before he even realized how long he had spent locked away in his office Anthony strolled into the room looking as sharp as ever in his dress robes and freshly shaven face. "If I hadn't spent all day sitting in this exact spot, I would have thought that I entered the wrong home. To what do I owe this grand pleasure, Bridgerton?" Anthony smirked as his brother-in-law refused to look up from his desk at his entrance.

"I came to inform you that we, and by we I mean Eloise, my mother, Benedict, you and myself, are to leave for the Danbury ball once you are dressed." Anthony said placing himself in the chair across from Javier and made himself more comfortable.

"For what reason would I have to travel along with you? I can get there on my own just fine, I do not need an escort." Javier leaned back in his seat and finally faced the Englishman. "I realize that I asked for your input but does that require you to be present for everything?"

"And here I thought we were bonding." Anthony replied with just as much sarcasm as Javier had spoken with. "Alina asked me to keep an eye on you. If you would just tell her the reason for your change-"

"I would if there was any other reason. I have told you before but I will tell you once again, we do not talk about our father. He has caused her enough hurt throughout the years and speaking of him will do no good. We will continue to tell her that I have simply changed my mind about marriage and that is all." Javier stood and redid the buttons on his vest. "I will be down in a moment." Anthony watched as the man turned and left the office and he couldn't help but frown. Standing up, he made his way back out and over to his own home where the carriage was waiting, hoping that this summer had fewer duels and drama than the last one.

The journey to the ball had been quite silent as everyone within the compartment had been to busy with their own thoughts that no one had the urge to speak. Eloise took a deep breath as she clung to her mother's arm as they made their way through the doors. Her corset was pinching and her dress she suddenly found itchy against her skin, not to mention the ache where her hair had been pulled and set into a style. As they stepped into the light of the ball she too exposed and began to pull at her dress. "Stop fussing with your dress." Anthony chastised.