Capital R Rake

The bright summer sun had already begun its long journey through the sky as Alina had woken up just before the sun had risen. Little Edmund had decided to wail until she had picked him up and once the almost one year old was content and happy in her arms after a quick breakfast for the young one she began to start her day as Viscountess. This would be her first summer with her title, fully healthy and she knew that she had a lot to prove to the ton as well as herself. This year they would be hosting a ball at Aubrey Hall and that would be her time to shine. Alina handed Edmund off to Marie who would take care of him while the rest of the family got ready and attended the ceremony. "Why do I continue to wake up without you by my side?" Anthony called, pulling his wife from her thoughts. Alina turned to see his slight pout.

"I couldn't sleep, plus Edmund isn't used to this nursery."

"We'll be home soon enough. Have you talked to your brother yet, love?" Alina raised a brow and slightly frowned, confused.

"No, why? Is everything alright?"

"Of course. Now you better start getting ready darling, Eloise would like you to help her get ready." Alina nodded, deciding to ignore the second term of endearment he had used. Over the winter it seemed Anthony had gotten more affectionate with her and not that she was complaining, she found it endearing and it always seemed to cause her stomach to erupt in butterflies but she tried not to react to such things. The fear of getting too close to him and losing him to another woman terrified her. She figured that if she stayed distant that it would hurt a lot less.

"Is it time already?" Anthony chuckled at her surprise.

"You can do this. If anything you'll help keep Eloise calm." Alina didn't know about that but nodded anyway before making her way up to her room to start getting ready. It hadn't taken too long and soon she found herself in Eloise's room putting the last touches to her hair, the mumbling of the other Bridgerton's could be heard through the door and she tried to keep her amusement hidden from the panicking girl before her.

"Eloise, I'm afraid we are running out of time." She said gently as the siblings continued arguing. "Anthony has agreed to give you time but I am not sure how long we will be able to keep them at bay. Eloise sighed and nodded and quickly the maids scurried out of the room as fast as they could, still very much in a bad mood. Eloise made her way to the door and stood before her family.

"If one of you utters a single word..." No one said anything for a few seconds. Eloise angrily grabbed the train of her dress, "let us get this over with." She muttered before storming out of the room and down the hall. Violet quickly followed after her daughter. Alina sighed and made her way out of the room to see the amusement in the siblings around her.

"My, I am surprised she didn't kill you herself." Benedict stated with a laugh. Alina rolled her eyes but smiled at his playfulness. Without thinking, Anthony's hands found Alina's waist as he stood beside her.

"Yes well, we better get going before she changes her mind." Anthony chimed in and began to lead the way to the carriages that were waiting for the family below. Alina gratefully took a seat next to Anthony as Benedict and Gregory joined the two, all for thankful to not be with Eloise and the others.

"Are you excited about this season, Lina?" Benedict asked as they began to move.

"I suppose so. I only hope Eloise finds happiness, whatever that may be." She responded with a small shrug.

"I was referring to you gaining a sister by summer's end. Isn't Javier partaking in the season?" Alina stared at Benedict confused before looking at Anthony who had been shaking his head.