The Letter

Javier,

The time has come for you to marry. I have allowed you to galavant through brothels and sleep your way through Spain and England but not any longer. Your sister has your mother's ring and you will be wed by the end of the summer. If you fail to do as such then I shall settle my affairs for a new hire to the Javalera fortune and you will be disowned by all means.

I await news of your engagement and I shall make the journey to provide my judgment and blessing.

Baron of Valencia,

Bruno Javalera

Only one thought passed through his mind as he held his father's letter tightly. He couldn't truly identify what he was feeling as the sting from the demands set in. During the winter, Javier had been able to secure a London residence close to the Bridgerton home and that was where he had spent the holidays as well as making the trip back to Valencia when he had gotten word that his father had left for his own trip. While he and Anthony weren't on the best of terms, mostly due to his protectiveness over his sister, the two men had come to tolerate each other. Javier refused to bring the letter up to Alina as both siblings had a rule to not discuss their father if they could help it. With a sigh Javier stood up and abruptly made his way out of his study, startling the small staff he had hired. "My lord, is everything alright?" His butler asked.

"Get my horse ready, I will be leaving for Aubrey Hall as soon as it's ready." Without another word Javier readied himself for the journey. He made it in decent time, and he was sure that the family was quite surprised to see him riding up. Anthony was the first Bridgerton who had greeted him as he jumped from his horse. "Javier, what a joy to see you. What do we owe for pleasure?" Anthony asked as he waited for his brother in law to make his way up the steps.

"Sorry about the intrusion. I need to speak with you if you have a moment." Javier explained straightening his clothes from the ride.

"You are always welcome, you know that. Come we can speak in my office and I will have them make a place for you for dinner." Javier nodded and followed the man through the manor and quietly. Closing the door Anthony made his way over to his small drink station and began to pour a drink for both of them. "What is it that you would like to discuss?" Javier sighed and once he had been given his glass he quickly downed the contents causing Anthony to raise a brow.

"I am to look for a wife this season and marry by the end of the summer." He said plainly. "I need your advice." Anthony was stunned to say the least. Since his son had been born, Alina had made sure to invite Javier to stay with them and he was mostly assuming that the man had come here to threaten him once again.

"Advice?" Anthony asked doubtfully.

"Believe me, I am just as shocked by my presence here." Javier sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Unfortunately, you are the only person I can think of who would be able to help me. There is quite a lot you do not know of my family, Bridgerton. But I thought you of all people would be able to help me come up with a list of what to look for." Before Anthony could respond the door to the office swung open and Alina grinned as her eyes landed on the two men, her son securely in her arms.

"Javi!" The two chuckled at her excitement as she came forward. Alina didn't waste any time in wrapping her free arm around her brother. "I wasn't expecting you to be here for another week. I had thought you had gone back to Spain? Well, no matter, you are free to stay as long as you need." Javier kissed the top of her head and kissed little Edmund's head and tickled the little six month old.

"I'm quite happy to see you as well." Javier said, deciding not to bring up his quest for this season.

"Dinner is ready and if you two would like to head down to the table. I just have to put Edmund to bed." Anthony nodded and moved forward and gently lifted his son into his arms. Once the baby began to sleep through the night, they moved him to his nursery. Alina had tossed and turned worried that she wouldn't be able to hear his cries if something were wrong.

"I will take him, love. You two head down." Alina nodded and after kissing little Edmund goodbye. Javier watched the little family and he hoped that he and his wife would learn to be caring toward each other. He could only hope that his father would allow him some happiness.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hello my beautiful readers, 

I hope you enjoyed this little chapter. The next one will be starting the season officially which means for longer chapters. Would love to hear from you all but as always, thank you for reading this far and for giving my story love!

Love you all!