An Affair of Honor

Here we go...

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

In a town filled with ambitious mamas and fortune-hunting gentlemen, marrying above one's station is an art form, indeed. But Miss Daphne Bridgerton's advance from future duchess to possible princess is an achievement that even this jaded author must applaud. Though this author cannot dismiss the Duke of Hastings quite so soon. He may have let the diamond slip through his fingers now, but I shall wager he is not a man to ever hide from a fight.

Alina sighed as she recovered from her latest fit of sickness, thankfully they had been happening less and she hoped that soon it wouldn't happen at all.  Anthony had tried to drag her to some boxing match but Alina had simply said that she had too much to do here so he had brought Daphne in her place instead. "My word, you look dreadful." Javier said as he leaned against his sister's bedroom door.

"Have you forgotten how to knock on a lady's door?" Alina asked, moving back to lay in her bed. Javier chuckled and moved forward to sit on the bed beside her.

"Of course not, however to me you are still that small girl hiding from a thunderstorm." Alina smiled softly at the memory. "What is going on with you, Lina? You are hardly ever sick and quite the early riser however since I have arrived you have been laying in later and later and now I find you sick. I am worried about you."

"You do not need to worry about me, Javi-"

"Of course I do, you are clearly not well and-"

"I am pregnant, Javi." Alina finally admitted. Javier froze as what she said and to Alina it felt like an eternity as she waited for something. Finally Javier smiled and pulled her into a gentle hug and chuckled.

"Congratulations, Lina." Alina sighed softly before pulling away. "Why are you crying?" He asked, laughing softly as he reached up and brushed her tears away.

"It's the first time I've said it out loud. It feels like something has been lifted from my chest."

"Does anyone else know?" Alina shook her head slightly with a shrug.

"Marie obviously, Violet had guessed and now you."

"Then I am honored. You will be a fantastic mother, Lina." Alina laughed and sniffled. Once Marie had come back into the room Javier was shooed out of the room so that Alina could dress and finally head down to the drawing you.

"Your brother took you where?" She heard Violet ask Daphne played the pianoforte. Benedict had dat with his feet across the couch and Colin sat with Gregory playing some game. Hyacinth grinned and ran over to give Alina a quick hug before heading over to her mother and Daphne.

"He kept close watch the entire time, mama."

"It does not matter. A boxing exhibition is no place for any young lady." Alina silently agreed with Violet on this one.

"Is it a place for a prince? Was he at today's match, sister?" Hyacinth asked hopeful. Alina didn't know what to think of the prince and duke drama with Daphne. Sure she hadn't particularly liked the duke, finding him quite rude, however she could tell that Daphne did not seem as happy as she did before.

"He certainly was."

"It is a loathsome and barbarous form of entertainment." Violet said with a scoff.

"What about the duke?" The second youngest Bridgerton asked.

"What about the duke?" Daphne and Violet parroted at the same time.