A Bee in Your Bonnet III

"Please...Edmund, I don't know what it is you want." Alina pleaded with her child as the almost one year old continued to cry. She had tried bouncing him and rocking and placing him back in his crib with no such luck. Finally the door opened and Anthony stepped inside. "Thank god, Anthony I need you to take him." Alina stepped closer and passed Edmund to his father. Anthony frowned in confusion but took him.

"What is going on?" He asked as he began to sway.

"I don't know! He hasn't stopped crying all morning and I have tried everything! As soon as I put him down he screams."

"Why didn't you just give him to Marie?" He asks with an annoyed sigh. "I have work to do for the ball. I don't have time to watch him, Alina."

"You don't think I have tried to give him to Marie. He screams louder than when I put him down! And what do you mean you don't have time? He is your son, Anthony!"

"I know he's my son! Did you ever think that the reason he doesn't want anyone else or to be put down is because you spoil him all day because you hold him." Anthony put Edmund down as his temper began to rise causing the eight month old to scream and continue to cry. "I'm sorry that I have a job to do, Alina!"

"A job? Are you kidding me? I need your help! Something is wrong with my son and I don't know what to do!"

"It isn't my fault that you grew up without a mother and it isn't Edmund's fault either!" Alina's eyes widened and it took Anthony a moment to realize what he had said but it was too late. "Aline I'm so–" Alina held her hand up and took a deep breath as she picked up Edmund from the crib.

"We are both tired. Just take care of your son." Alina handed Edmund over and left the room not waiting for a response. Alina sighed as began to unpin her already too tight bun, she knew it was the wrong choice but she hadn't been thinking clearly all morning. As she made her way out of the manor she stopped as she spotted Kate sitting by herself. "Oh, hello Miss Sharma." She greeted her with a tired smile. Kate smiled back in return.

"Hi. Would you like to join me? You look as if you could use a rest." Alina let out a humorless laugh and nodded as she made her way over to the second seat.

"Is it that obvious?" Alina asked as she pulled her air to one side as Kate poured her a cup of tea. Alina watched as she pulled out a pouch and dropped some things into the strainer and looked up to Kate with a curious look.

"I am still trying to get the acquired taste for English tea. I brought this from home." Kate explained. Alina nodded and reached for the cup and took a small sip once the milk had been added.

"I quite like this." Alina admitted with a smile. "Much more flavorful." The two were quiet as they both continued to sip from their cups. "Did you sleep well?" Alina asked finally.

"Yes, perfectly well." Before Kate could say anymore the sound of Edmund's cries could be heard causing Alina to sigh slightly and Kate smiled softly at the mother. "Although it appears not everyone shares my sentiment."

"I am terribly sorry if he woke you this morning. Edmund's quite fussy today." Kate took in Alina's appearance and the sight of the Viscountess allowing her hair to fall naturally instead of being tied back made her appear more friendly and welcoming in a way. With the Bridgerton blue gown and lace it was no question that she was quite beautiful and it was easy to see why Anthony doted on her as much as he did. Everything about Alina was effortlessly lovely and positively inviting.

"Not at all," Kate replied, soothing the young mother's worry. It was quiet for a beat until Kate decided to ask what had been on her mind. "Can I ask you something, my lady?"