Victory

If the Ancient Greeks were members of the ton they might have added to their Olympic pentathlon one additional event. The hosting of a country visit. This of course is the week of Lady Bridgerton's annual Hearts and Flowers Ball. The most coveted invitation in the country and no event better designed to show the might and mettle of its host.

"Miss Partridge requires large amounts of sugar for her morning tea," Alina stated as she led Violet and two maids down the stairs dodging the many servants setting everything up, "and Lord Abernathy will refuse to eat any meat that is not well-cooked while Lady Abernathy will only consume her meat bloody, I am told." Violet watched on as Alina took charge of everything given to her. It was the first time that Alina would be in charge of everything for this year as Violet believed her to be ready to take over as complete head of the house and the family with Anthony. "And make sure you put an extra blanket on Lord Weston's bed. I hear he feels the cold." Just as the four of them exited a hall and into the drawing room a maid stood holding a beautiful bouquet of flowers.

"The roses and carnations have arrived ma'am." The maid said with a smile.

"They are lovely." Alina responded as she and Violet stepped closer to inspect them. "Perhaps we should add in Lilac. Symbolic of first love and perhaps make the bouquets even bigger." Alina offered after a moment. Violet smiled, proud of how well Alina was handling the entire responsibility.

"I have taught you well. I could not think of a better viscountess." Violet praised as she placed a hand on Alina's arm. Alina smiled at the praise, a part of her thrilled but another part of her frightened about letting Violet down or have something going wrong at the ball and having it look terrible on the Bridgerton family. Violet smiled and happily pulled Alina along to finish the preparations for the day allowing Alina to distract herself from her thoughts of Anthony, Javier, her father and lastly Thomas for she had been successful at avoiding since they arrived just as Anthony had avoided her since she admitted her secret.

Anthony slouched in a chair, his mind running wild with thoughts and as he reached into the bowl of fruit Benedict had placed and grabbed an apple. "I was...painting that." Benedict complained as he looked up from his canvas at the sound of a crunch. Anthony had decided to join his younger brother in the hopes of getting some advice and since the arrival of his father in-law he had begun to question the last year and a half of his marriage and relationship with Alina.

"Do you think all of this was a mistake?" He asked suddenly. "Following through with father's plan and marrying Alina? Perhaps she would have been happier if she had married Thomas." Benedict placed his paints down on the table with frustration.

"If you would like to find out, you should ask her and stop brooding and if you are going to do it why not," Benedict quickly made his way to the window and forced it open and gestered largely with his arms, "in the open air?" Anthony sighed softly as he thought. He wasn't angry with her at all but more frustrated and confused than anything and he knew he had a tendency to take those feelings out on the people around him. When he still didn't move Benedict walked over to his brother and sat on the table beside him. "Look, I know you two have had your problems in the past but sitting here all day isn't going to do anything. Alina loves you and that is what should matter the most. You need to speak with her about this."

"Do you think she felt this way?" He finally asked softly. Benedict didn't respond at first as he took in the question and at his silence Anthony continued. "Do you think she felt...as if she might not be good enough?"

"No," Benedict stated, "I imagine she felt worse."

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~