01.1

[act one; chapter one     -      jason is very, very confused]

"That's what I've been trying to tell you. I don't know."

Jason Grace was incredibly annoyed. And confused. Very, very confused. Like, he was confused about being confused.

Is that even possible?

The storm in front of him dissipated. The other kids from the Wilderness School were staring out the glass doors in horror. Security guards were working on the locks now, but they didn't seem to be having any luck.

"Coach Hedge said he had to protect three people," Jason remembered. "I think he meant us."

"And that thing Dylan turned into..." Piper McLean shuddered. "God, I can't believe it was hitting on me. He called us...what, demigods?"

For some reason that word, demigods, rang in his mind like a drum. It beat against his skull as if someone hit him over the head with a wooden baseball bat.

Leo lay on his back, staring at the sky. He didn't seem anxious to get up. "Don't know what demi means," he said. "But I'm not feeling too godly. You guys feeling godly?"

There was a brittle sound like dry twigs snapping, and the cracks in the skywalk began to widen.

"We need to get off this thing," Jason said. "Maybe if we—"

"Ohhh-kay," Leo interrupted. "Look up there and tell me if those are flying horses."

At first Jason thought Leo had hit his head too hard. Then he saw a dark shape descending from the east—too slow for a plane, too large for a bird. As it got closer he could see a pair of winged animals—grey, four-legged, exactly like horses —except each one had a twenty-foot wingspan. And they were pulling a brightly painted box with two wheels: a chariot. "Reinforcements," he said. "Hedge told me an extraction squad was coming for us."