01.13

[act one; chapter thirteen     -     enceladus or enchilada?]

Andromeda woke up sitting in a chair at a cafe. And she really, genuinely was not that surprised.

For a second, she thought she was still falling, because when she woke up, she nearly toppled out of her chair. It was a sunny morning. The air was brisk but not unpleasant for sitting outside. At the other tables, a mix of bicyclists, business people, and college kids sat chatting and drinking coffee.

She could smell eucalyptus trees. Lots of foot traffic passed in front of quaint little shops. The street was lined with bottle-brush trees and blooming azaleas as if winter was a foreign concept.

In other words: she was in California.

Her friends sat in chairs around her—all of them with their hands calmly folded across their chests, dozing pleasantly. And they all had new clothes on. Across from her, Piper looked down at her outfit and gasped. "Mother!"

Jason flinched, bumping the table with his knees, his feet stretching to hit Andromeda's, and then all of them were awake.

"What?" Hedge demanded. "Fight who? Where?"

"Falling!" Leo grabbed the table. "No—not falling. Where are we?"

Jason blinked, trying to get his bearings. He glanced at the redhead and cleared his throat, "Um, Dom?"

She looked down at her outfit, and was pleased to see it was something she would actually wear. Denim overalls, a dark green t-shirt underneath, her usual necklaces still hanging around her neck, and when she looked at her feet she was happy to see a clean pair of platform red Chucks. On her head, her curls were hanging down her back, one of Percy's old bandana's wrapped around her head to keep them out of her face.