05.3

[act five; chapter three     -     peter losing wendy]

Her head hurt. It hurt in a way that made it feel like someone had swung a shovel at her and found their mark on the side of her head. She could feel the thick, hot, crimson dripping down the side of her face, blurring her vision.

She struggled to her feet, pushing off of the ground with her shaky hands, which she noticed were covered in blood and dirt. Her hair, which hardly reached her jaw, fell around her face in mud covered tendrils.

Mud...why was she covered in mud?

"One more time." There was a voice in her ear and a hot breath against her skin.

She let out a breath that sounded more like a wheeze than anything, and felt tears roll down her cheeks. She choked out, "Please." She could hardly talk; her mouth was full of blood. "Please, stop."

This is only the beginning, a voice hissed. A voice that was all too familiar.

A sob tore from her throat as hands gripped the back of her head, pulling her hair tight against her scalp that practically screamed in agony. She muttered, "Please, please, please," under her breath when suddenly her vision flooded with red and the only thing she could feel was solid rock against her skull.

But the voice was right—it was only the beginning.

—💫—