04.5

[act three; chapter five     -     haven't i given enough?]

Andy followed Bob through the wasteland, tracing the route of the Phlegethon as they approached the storm front of darkness. Every so often they stopped so Andy could drink firewater, which kept her alive, but that didn't mean she was happy about it. Her throat felt like she was constantly gargling with battery acid.

"So, Bob, uh," she cleared her throat, "How did you get to Tartarus?"

"I jumped," he said, like it was obvious.

"You...jumped? Into Tartarus?" She looked around, crossing her arms around her torso, almost like that would provide her some sort of comfort or security. "Because Percy called for you?"

"He said you needed me." Those silver eyes gleamed in the darkness as he watched her. "It is okay. I was tired of sweeping the palace. Come along! We are almost at a rest stop."

Rest stop. That was a peculiar word to use when referring to anything in relation to Tartarus.

Andy hobbled along, trying to ignore the rumble in her stomach. She stared at Bob's back as he led her towards the wall of darkness, now only a few hundred yards away. His blue janitor's coveralls were ripped between the shoulder blades, as if someone had tried to stab him. Cleaning rags stuck out of his pocket. A squirt bottle swung from his belt, the blue liquid inside sloshing hypnotically.

She remembered Percy's story about meeting the Titan. Thalia Grace, Nico di Angelo and Percy had worked together to defeat Bob on the banks of the Lethe. After wiping his memory, they didn't have the heart to kill him. He became so gentle and sweet and cooperative that they left him at the palace of Hades, where Persephone promised he would be looked after.