03.8

[act three; chapter eight     -     fish-horses!?]

"We're two halves of one whole." Andy muttered from her place in between her siblings. Her arms were over their shoulders, the elder girl barely able to stand on her own two legs. "Donnie, she said we're two halves of one whole, and half of us won't be here in the end."

Donnie didn't have time to answer as an exploding arrow landed directly next to them, quickly followed by three more on each side. Suddenly he was thrown to the ground, his ears ringing. He was barely able to register the familiar hands of his sister pushing him towards the ground as Zara fell beside him.

He looked up, his eyes scanning everything around them. Andy was standing above them, her hands braced towards the sky as vines broke through the ground, shielding them from the blows of the Romans. Blood dripped down her nose and her eyes...gods, her eyes were gold.

He grasped at her hand, "Andy, hey!"

"I'm okay." She responded, though her voice was hoarse and dry, almost like she hadn't had water in days. But it was her. It was her voice, completely and fully, no hint of Gaea or anyone else. It was Andy. "I was able to double whammy queen dirt face. She piggybacks off of me and my abilities, I can do the same to her."

Zara's mouth dropped open, "What?"

But their sister didn't seem to pay them much attention, not as another volley of arrows rained down over them. Donnie and Zara curled their arms around each other, holding on for dear life.

It was then that the attacks ceased, Andy watching carefully, her hands braced in front of herself and her siblings.

A Roman approached with a sly grin. "What? Afraid you'll lose if you fight without your magic, carrots?"