04.3

[act four; chapter three     -     the photograph of december]

It was like everything came crashing down on her, all at once. Every feeling, every thought, every what-if. It all fell right on her chest, and suddenly she couldn't breathe.

Dom leaned back against the stone whatever that she was settled against, unsure of what it was, just glad that it wasn't alive or a monster out for her blood.

Her whole body ached and leaning against something hard and sharp probably wasn't the smartest idea considering she could feel the dried blood scabbing over the long gashes on her back. Every time she shifted, she shuddered and felt like crying from the pain, and that made the mental pain—which in some cases she figured was worse—nearly poured out like water in a broken dam.

Andy made no jokes about that. In fact, she had gone scarily quiet in the last hours, and Dom knew it wasn't a good sign.

The redhead let her head fall onto the wall behind her, amethyst eyes glancing up towards the dark, lava-looking sky, and blinked away what tears threatened to fall.

Gods, she didn't know if she could do this. If she could make it out of here alive. She knew, deep down, that she would make it to the Doors of Death, that she would close them, but there was this doubt that lingered in the back of her mind that she might not make it out with air in her lungs and blood beating to her heart.

Dom didn't think she'd ever been scared or fearful of Death before, but she was now.

The small fire that she had been able to make burned and crackled in front of her. Her body shivered with every breath she took, her body working overtime to provide her air. But no matter how hard she tried, nothing worked.