ix. the anchor

(   IX

(   IX. THE ANCHOR   )

      "IDIOMS, ANALOGIES, METAPHORS AND SIMILIES," Miss Blake's voice echoed through the classroom, making Amelie raise her head from the desk and flutter her eyes open. Over the past few days, Amelie has gotten everything but sleep. She had found solace in the attic where all her dad's items were placed, especially all his other journals.

     Her dad only ever spoke of Matthew. He was a doctor like her mother so he was around the ghost every day. He wrote about how much he found comfort in him and treated him like he was alive

     Raking a hand through her hair, Amelie looked next to her at the teacher speaking only to find her looking at the paper on Lydia's desk. "Lydia, I wasn't aware you had so many hidden talents," The woman smiled, making Lydia look up to her. "You and every guy I've ever dated," She replied sarcastically.

     "Oh. Um, well, that was an idiom, by the way," Miss Blake said anxiously before walking between the desks. "Idioms are something of a secret to the people who know the language or the culture. They're phrases that only make sense if you know key words. Saying "jump the gun" is meaningful only if you know about the starting gun in a race. Or, a phrase like, "seeing the whole board..."

     "Like chess," Stiles muttered in front of her.

     "That's right, Stiles. Do you play?"

     "Uh, no. My father does," He replied awkwardly, not meeting her eyes.

     "Now, when does an idiom become a cliché...?"

     "I think I can get to Ethan. I'm pretty sure I can make him talk," Scott turned around facing Stiles and Amelie.

     "What do you want to do that for?" Amelie groaned, propping her head on her hand. "The Druids are Emissaries, right? So, what if the Darach was an Emissary to the Alphas?" Scott explained.

     "Okay, first of all, I cannot believe we've gotten to the point where a sentence like, "What if the Darach was an Emissary to the Alphas?" actually makes sense to me," Stiles retorted, blinking harshly. "Second of all, we're gonna have a huge problem getting to Ethan."

     "What's that?"

     "Going through Aiden," Stiles stated. "Ever since he's been back at school, they're always together. How are we gonna separate them again?"

     Amelie raised her brows as an idea lit in her head, and apparently so did the boys because they all turned to Lydia at the same time who sighed defeatedly.

     "What now?"

🥰

     "Why are you even talking to me?" Ethan snapped, looking at the three teenagers surrounding him. "I helped kill your friend. How do you know I'm not gonna kill another one?"