xliv. old and senile

(   XLIV

(   XLIV. OLD AND SENILE   )

     AMELIE NIGHTLY WAS A GRIEVER.

     It's funny, she thought. All her life seemed to be surrounding death, orbiting it like a star in the universe. Her father died, found mauled up in an elevator from the hands of a persistent ghost, only to be found by his youngest daughter. Her best friend died, and she could've done nothing about it. And now, her sister was gone too, joining them in another life.

     Despite Chris always convincing all those around him that he had the ability of compartmentalizing his emotions in a moment of need, Amelie couldn't say the same. She spent her whole life grieving. Sometimes, the grieving was minuscule, like a small nagging whisper in the back of her head that she could easily push away, remind herself of the better things in her life. Like her best friends and her boyfriend. But as she sat in the police station, her eyes staring at complete nothingness, hearing Stilinski's voice try to call for her, to ask her questions, all she could think about was how she was just so done.

     Stilinski's hand rubbed her shoulder softly, trying to break her daydream, but she wasn't fazed. She just kept staring at nothing. The door to the station opened suddenly, the bell above it ringing, and in came Sydney Nightly, her hair in a crazed mess, and her eyes wide in disbelief.

     "What's this about? Noah, what happened? No, you're lying— I said no. Where is Karly? No, she's not dead! Amelie! Amelie, what is he talking about?"

     But, Amelie wouldn't reply, she would just sigh and stare and ignore her mother's gut wrenching scream as Noah rubbed her back for a second. Her mother's wailing over her dead daughter would only ever be embedded in Amelie's head as background noise, a muted annoyance in her head.

     The day Karly died was just another memory to put on top of the others.

     And now, she could hear the other whispers. The whispers of the dead Karly joined and it kept getting louder and louder till she couldn't hear Stilinski setting up a whole protection system against who was stealing the bodies— who would try to steal Karly's body.

     Her mother was sent home and they tried to send Amelie home too, but when Stilinski kneeled in front of her, telling her that he got this, that he promised no one would take her little sister, Amelie broke out of her daydream.

     "I'm not believing any more promises, Sheriff," Amelie's voice was hoarse, raspy with the thick tears and the stomach-clenching screams. "I'll come with you."

     Stilinski wanted to argue, tell her there was no need, but the look on her face told him not to. Just take her with them. The sun was beginning to rise but all Amelie could think of was how another day began and Karly wasn't here anymore.