xlv. death sentence

(   XLV

(   XLV. DEATH SENTENCE   )

     HUGGING HER KNEES, Amelie sat in her backyard. The morning was quiet. Stiles had dropped her off after the incident at the hospital the day before, assuring her that he'll be there right after school and he'll spend the night. He didn't want to leave her alone even though she constantly told him she'd be fine— but even she knew that was lie.

     However, it was much of a surprise when Malia came knocking on her door that morning. She had told her it didn't seem right to go to school when she knew her friend was sad and needed support. Amelie had no choice to but to welcome her in. Despite their rough beginning, Amelie really cherished Malia. She reminded her a lot of Isaac actually.

     "Did you have breakfast?" Malia had asked when she walked in, but Amelie shook her head no. "Good, cause I got us donuts." Amelie didn't have the heart to tell her donuts only ripped at the wound more and more. Karly adored donuts, especially cinnamon donuts, which Malia had bought five of.

     When they headed to the backyard, it was quiet for a while. Amelie could tell Malia didn't really know what to say. "Mal, it's okay," Amelie smiled softly, "You don't have to be here."

     "I want to," Malia shook her head, "Amelie, I don't know if you remember this, but I lost my sister too. I know how you feel. She might not have been my biological sister, but she was the closest I had to one. It hurt me so much that I couldn't bare the guilt of shifting back. I felt..."

     "Empty," Amelie finished for her.

     "Yeah."

     "I guess that makes us sisters, right?" Amelie looked up to were-coyote, who smiled and nodded.

     A knock on the back door made her turn her around to the emerging figure. Her eyes rounded at a familiar head of ash blond hair and tall body, making her immediately stand up in shock.

     "Isaac."

     "Hey," He gave her a soft smile before taking her into a hug which she slowly returned. "I came as soon as I heard. I'm so sorry, Ams."

     She stared up at him, unable to respond. Pulling her hair behind her hair, she nodded, taking a seat again. Isaac turned to the girl sitting next to her, eyebrows furrowed before saying, "I know you."

     "I'm Malia," She scowled.

     "Malia?" Isaac's eyebrows rose in amusement. "Malia, as in, were-coyote Malia. Malia that we saved?"

     "We?" Malia frowned, turning to Amelie.

     "Isaac was with us when we saved you," The Anchor crossed her arms over her chest, "You guys haven't met because he moved to France before you joined school."