lxiii. temporary loss

(   LXIII

( LXIII. TEMPORARY LOSS )

AMELIE HAD NEVER WANTED HER MOM TO PICK UP THE PHONE AS MUCH AS SHE DID NOW. At the sheriff's station, she sat on the floor in front of the locked cell where Theo reluctantly resided. Over and over again she would dial her mother's number but over and over it would say the number she'd dialed is no longer in service. She wanted to say that she didn't care, but she couldn't ignore the overwhelming guilt ridding her shoulders.

"She's gone," Theo mused from where he sat on the floor in the cell. They faced each other, with Amelie having her legs sprawled out in front of her and Theo leaning his chin onto his. She narrowed her eyes at him but ignored him anyway. "Not completely, though."

"Thanks for the clarification," She rolled her eyes as she put her hair behind her ear before dialing again.

"No problem," He replied making her scoff and get up to join Scott, Malia, Lydia and Liam, who were now accompanied as well by none other than Peter Hale.

She'd joined the end of the conversation when her ears perked up at what Lydia said. "—You're going to bite Stiles?"

"I'm sorry, what?" She interrupted, staring at Scott like he'd grown two heads.

The Alpha nodded, "To get him through the rift. It's the only way."

"Just to clarify, are you planning on biting everyone in the train station?" Peter asked humorlessly.

Scott shook his head as he made his way to stand next to Malia, "With Stiles back, he'll be able to help us figure out a plan."

"He's good at that," Malia chimed in.

"So, the plan is to get Stiles to come up with a plan?" Peter asked as a way to make them realize how bizarre this was.

"You can shut up now."

"Guys, I hate to say it, but he's right," Amelie added, "Scott, the bite could kill him!"

"Besides, look around. We're the only ones left in Beacon Hills," Peter gestured around him, "If they take us, Lydia will be the only one left to haunt the place. And Amelie."

Even though Amelie knew that, saying it out loud made it much more real. "That's why I'm the only person that's going in," Scott explained, "Liam and Hayden will stay here with Mason. As long as somebody is left in Beacon Hills, the Wild Hunt can't move on."

Peter still disagreed. "I like your plan, Scott, I really do, especially the part about turning Stiles. But it can't work."

"How do you know?" Malia frowned.

"Logic? Life experience?" Peter widened his eyes. "Liam, what are the odds that he'll get taken? What if Stiles isn't there? What if there's no Beacon Hills for you to come back to?"