xxxviii. totally paranoid

(   XXXVIII

( XXXVIII. TOTALLY PARANOID )

     "SO, YOU RAN A BACKGROUND CHECK," Amelie repeated her boyfriend's words as they, along with Malia, walked into school, "But all you found was a speeding ticket?" Amelie understood why Stiles was suspicious of Theo Raeken— she couldn't really blame him. A boy, who they knew in fourth grade, came back to Beacon Hills just to be in their pack. It sounded like trouble.

     "A speeding ticket signed by Theo's dad eight years ago," Stiles answered making Malia shrug, "Which means what?"

     "Who speeds?" He asked like it was the most obvious thing ever, only to receive a confused look from the girls. "People trying to get away from something!"

     "Well, how many tickets do you have?" Amelie asked with a smirk.

     "None!" Stiles scoffed.

     "How many would you have if your dad didn't get you out of them?" Amelie rephrased her question receiving a chuckle from the were-coyote.

     "Seventeen."

     "I don't know, Stiles," Malia sighed frustratedly. "I mean, I see why you're worried— he's really hot. He's got like great hair, perfect body... You should definitely feel threatened."

     "Thank you— because I do," The human scoffed. "Now more than ever!"

     "He's not that hot. I mean he is, but—," Amelie tried to comfort him but he only rolled his eyes, "You want us to torture him?"

     "No, I don't want you to torture him!" He exasperated, narrowing his eyes at the girls but they only shrugged blankly, "I'm pretty sure we can take him."

     Stiles only shook his head insistently, "I have a plan, all right? There are steps to doing this right."

     "And they are...?"

     "We get the story, verify the facts. You find the piece that doesn't fit. And— And catch him in the act. That's how you do it," Stiles listed the steps but Amelie only sighed at the boy. She appreciated the boy's concern, she really did, but she hated the fact that he always worried about everything.

     Just as Amelie was about to say something, she noticed Stiles and Malia looking behind her. Turning around, she spotted none other than Theo Raeken himself, exiting a car and turning to the trio with a smile and wave.

     "Why are you so suspicious of this guy?" Malia turned to Stiles again who frowned, "Because I remember Theo from fourth grade, okay? That's not Theo."

     When they walked into the school, Malia walked away to her class but Amelie pulled Stiles back. "Don't beat yourself over this, okay?" Amelie whispered to him making him avoid eye contact, "You have every right to be suspicious of him, but don't make it your life goal to figure it out."